cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric Interconnect uplink failure

e-chuah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  FI-A has 10GE uplink to LAN switch-A. Let's call this UplinkA FI-B has 10GE uplink to LAN switch-B. Let's call this UplinkB  If UplinkA fails, but the server ports between FI-A and IOM-A is still up. Will traffic be sent to FI-A and then black hole there? I tried this in our setup and it seems to be the case.  Then I try to apply Network control policy to the vnic.. In the policy, i specify {"CDP=disabled", Action on uplink fail=link down"} But it still did not work, when UplinkA is down, my ESX still see it's VMNIC as up and continue to send packet to FI-A and blackhole there.  (1) Is Network Control policy required to detect FI uplink failure to work properly? (2) How do i see the operation status of the Palo vnic, i.e, whether it is up or down? Can't seem to find a place to see the status.  Did i miss out anything?  THanks Eng Wee

4 Replies 4

e-chuah
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot to mention that FI-A and FI-B is configured as switch mode.

Hi ...

If you have the Fabric Interconnects in Switch mode you need to have connectivity between them (some ports connecting both)

1 - When you create a vNIC you can enable failover directly there without using policy

2 - Until now I have not been able to find a really good method of troubleshooting the palo card ... So I have to miss this one

Cheers

Nuno Ferreira

Hi Ferreira,  Thanks for the reply.  The uplink LANSwitch is actually a VSS.  If i connect the two FI together using some 10GE ports, a layer 2 loop will be formed unless i can etherchannel (Multichassis Etherchannel) the uplink of FI-A and FI-B when connecting to the VSS. I think MEC is not supported in the FI.   Alternate solution would be to have each FI to dual home to the LANSwitch. Each FI then creates a port-channel to the LANSwitch. In this way, there will be no L2 loop and no single point of failure. Unfortunately, my client only purchase 1x10GE uplink on each FI.  How does end-host mode solve this problem? WHen UplinkA is down, vnic will go down?  Rgds Eng Wee

Yes you can define that behavior on the Network Control Policy but if you have failover (to the other fabric) enabled then the traffic will fail automatically to the other FIC.

Please note that even in End Host mode the FIC still does local switching as it keeps a local MAC address Table

Nuno Ferreira

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: