Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7.x 7.0 and Exchange 2010

vwong
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

Have anyone upgraded their unity to support Exchange 2010?  If so, I have a few questions.

As of last week, our customer is now running unity 7.0(2)ES35 with Exchange 2003.  They have a mixed Exchnage 2003/2010 environment.  We would like to change their partner server to exchange 2010.

Cisco TAC says the documentation provided ""Using Microsoft Exchange 2010 with Cisco Unity Version 7.0" is confusing and not accurate.

1)  Do they need to stop Unity just to run permissions wizard?   (see step 10, then step 14). Docs seems to suggest we do.  Cisco TAC says it's not necessary.

2)  Do we need to uninstall exchange 2003?   (step 12) Cisco TAC says we don't.   Doc step 12 says to uninstall exchange 2003.

3)  Do we need to install ExchangeMapiCdo.exe.  (step 13)  cisco TAC says we don't.  Doc step 13  mentions installing that software.

The customer has one unity server that is accessed about 24/7.  So we like to minimize downtime.  It seems ridiculous that we need to stop  the Unity service just to run permissions wizard.

Regards,

Van

4 Replies 4

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I do not have the answer to all of your questions but you do not need to stop Unity to run the Permissions Wizard.

I'll look further at the document but I believe you need the Exchange 2003 management tools so I don't know why you'd uninstall them just to reinstall them.

MAPI did change in Exchange 2010 - this was a big pain for Cisco. So, that'll require some further investigation.

FYI - you'll likely have some "downtime" (more like periods of Unity just being extremely busy) when you change Partner Server. Just be aware.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Hailey,

Thanks for your response.  So when you upgraded Unity to support 2010, you didn't bring the Unity down?

Ideally, we run the permissions wizard and then install the ExchangeMapiCdo.exe while the Unity service remains up and active with exchange 2003.   Then schedule some off hour to change the partner server so we can troubleshoot.

Sounds like we can run permissions wizard without stopping the unity service.   Do you know if we can install the ExchangeMapiCdo.exe without stopping the Unity service?  And do you know if we do instal the new ExchangeMapiCdo, is it compatible with exchange 2003 ?  or will it bring the unity ssytem down?

Thanks in advance.

Van

I haven't had any customers upgrade to 2010 yet so I've not been thru the procedures, but I have a lot of experience with Unity and Exchange in general...so that was the nature of my answers before. I've re-run permissions wizard on a live system, it is touching AD accounts - not the Unity application itself. I'm not sure on the MAPI patch and it's compatibility with 2010 - so I don't want to give you misleading answers without having done my homework there.

Hailey

craiglcve
Level 4
Level 4

This info is based on what we have done to move several clients from Exchange 2003 to 2010. (2010 only, without 2003,2007, Mixed Mode)

1)  Do they need to stop Unity just to run permissions wizard?   (see step 10, then step 14). Docs seems to suggest we do.  Cisco TAC says it's not necessary.

No, Permissions have already been set

2)  Do we need to uninstall exchange 2003?   (step 12) Cisco TAC says we don't.   Doc step 12 says to uninstall exchange 2003.

Yes, We uninstalled the Exchange 2003 Management Tools that were installed on the Unity Server.

3)  Do we need to install ExchangeMapiCdo.exe.  (step 13)  cisco TAC says we don't.  Doc step 13  mentions installing that software.

Yes, We had to install the ExchangeMapiCdo.exe for 2010 to work.

That is what we have done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: