Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM module and 6509

cisco-cg77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

This conversation follows the NAM module on 6509 doesn't ping via MANAGEMENT PORT one. In fact, we have two 6509 routers with a NAM Module in each one.

On the second one on the HTTP Server, when we clicked on the 'Overview' page and tried to 'Configure' something, the card told us that it was 'unable to contact RMON Daemon'. When we got the 'sh system-alerts' on the NAM, we had a message telling 'RMONd fail ...'.

I tried to reset the module from the IOS to recover from this problem. I used the 'hw-module module 9 reset' command (I read that in the 'Administering the Network Analysis Module' pdf).

The NAM module has seemed to reload correctly but we had a network outage. The 6509 hasn't log anything during the problem, the ports were UP on the neighboring switchs, but it seems that the 6509 didn't continue to forward the traffic. We haven't any explanation on this problem.

Can it be linked to this bug http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCee10005 ?

Have I made a mistake resetting the NAM this way?

• Is it necessary to remove the span session configuration from the 6509 config (monitor source/destination) before resetting the module?
  • Is there another way to use or administrate the NAM without configuring the 6509?
  • I'm surprised that the router can crash this way without telling nothing (no logs), and I note that our config is very unstable:

IOS bug?

configuration incompatibility with the etherchannel pb (May  5 07:49:01: %EC-SP-5-CANNOT_BUNDLE_LACP: Te1/1 is not compatible with aggregators in channel 1 and cannot attach to them (qos-card types of Te1/1 do not match Gi2/48))

6509 chassis with NAM module very unstable in general ?

Bad knowledge about the good way to use and administer the NAM?

Thank you for any element...

Best regards,

Jean-Christophe

1 Reply 1

Nael Mohammad
    Level 5
    Level 5

Hi Jean-Claude,

I'd recommend that you raise a TAC SR since you have multiple issues with the NAM/6509.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: