Rogue Detector AP not remembering config

Unanswered Question
May 5th, 2010

I have a 1231 I am using in rogue detector mode.  Each time it reboots, it resets its name back to AP<mac address> and goes back into local mode and does not remember any of its primed information such as AP groups or primary and secondary controllers.  It is as if Rogue detector mode is not written to NVRAM of the AP.  If I place it in local mode and configure it, everything is fine.  I have saved the controller config after the AP was configured in Rogue Detector mode.

Now, if I use a 1242, then everything is fine, so it appears to be an issue with the 1230 APs, I am running 6.0.182.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jlhainy Wed, 05/05/2010 - 10:02

Well, I think I found my own problem.  It looks like on 1230's that you need to uncheck the admin status box.  After that, my issue was resolved.

Peter Nugent Wed, 05/05/2010 - 16:30

I cant remember 1230s on a controller its that long ago, where is the admin box?

jlhainy Fri, 05/07/2010 - 09:00

I spoke too soon.  I am still having the problem.

So, to re-cap.  I have two wism blades running 6.0.182.  I want to take some 1230 APs that have been converted to Lightweight mode to run in Rogue Detector mode.  Doing that is easy.  I change the mode to Rogue Detector and I also assign the primary and secondary controllers and change the host name.  I Click Save and the controller then sends the config and has to reboot the AP because it changes from local mode to Rogue Detector mode.  So far all is well.

Then I power cycle the 1230, which is being powered via PoE and unplug the ethernet cable and then plug it back in to simulate a reboot.  Each time I do this, the AP looses the primary and secondary controllers, its host name I gave it and reverts back to local mode.  It doesn't seem to remember its config when it is power cycled.  So, if this rogue detector was in production, if it ever lost power, I would have to reconfigure it via the controller or WCS.

I am just trying to find out why when I configure it in rogue detector mode, it won't save that config.  If I configured it in local mode and make settings changes like host name or primary and secondary controllers, then power cycle it, it comes back up just fine.

This only seems to be happening on 1230's.  I did this on a 1240 and could not duplicate the problem, but I have duplicated it on two different 1230's.

jlhainy Tue, 06/08/2010 - 18:19

Looks like there was an issue with WLC 6.0.182 and the 1230's.  An upgrade fixes the problem.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network