Views
Helpful
Replies

connect 2 cisco 831 routers

cisco8123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 cisco 831 routers and want to connect them together. What is the best way to do this?

I have both straight-through and cross-over cables. I do not know whether these cables are right to use

and what interfaces should I connect them: lan or wan or mixed.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Hi,

Depending what you want to do. Is it a lab or production and what's the purpose?

To connect two routers back-to-back you should use cross-over cables (unless the devices support MDIX)

Federico.

I am preparing for the ccna exam. and want to set up a network at home to practice.

by the way, how are two routers connected in a product environment? just curious.

thanks

cisco8123 wrote:

I am preparing for the ccna exam. and want to set up a network at home to practice.

by the way, how are two routers connected in a product environment? just curious.

thanks

In production you would use a switch in between the 2 routers and each cable would be a straight-thru from the router to the switch.

Jon

connect the wan interface of both routers to the switch?

cisco8123 wrote:

connect the wan interface of both routers to the switch?

Generally the LAN interfaces are connected to a switch. The WAN interface may be but it depends on the WAN interface in use. ATM would be ATM switch, Frame Relay would be frame relay switch, metro ethernet would be ethernet switch etc..

Jon

thanks. it makes a lot sense.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you a student? Or what are you trying to achieve?

Again, depending on what you want.

Just connect them via Ethernet interfaces (LAN or WAN)

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: