cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loand Balancing on cisco Switch 3560(2unite) and cisco router 2821?

rechard_david
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I would like to do loand balancing on Cisco switch 3560 and cisco 2821. let me detail on this:

on my diagram i would like to do loand balancing from Server farm to coreswith ( 2 unite) and 2 core-switch connection to router 2821.

but i don't know which way that i can do on this .

Please kindly see in the attach file.

could you advice on this ?

Best Regards,

David

14 Replies 14

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear All,

I would like to do loand balancing on Cisco switch 3560 and cisco 2821. let me detail on this:

on my diagram i would like to do loand balancing from Server farm to coreswith ( 2 unite) and 2 core-switch connection to router 2821.

but i don't know which way that i can do on this .

Please kindly see in the attach file.

could you advice on this ?

Best Regards,

David

Hi David,

With diagram attached you have only on router and two switches,so if you want you can configure for traffic coming from server farm to switch vip using HSRP /GLBP configurtion for local lan and drop a default routes on both the switch towrads the router end.

Check out the below link for the same with some configuration examples

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_sec/configuration/guide/swhsrp.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807d2520.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember ot rate the helpful post

Dear Ganesh.H,

Thanks you for you help!!!!

For HSRP /GLBP it is Active and standby. but i system i would like to do loand balancing.

and on my system we don't have Vlan.

Do you have any document or some idea on this case?

Best Regards,

David

Dear Ganesh.H,

Thanks you for you help!!!!

For HSRP /GLBP it is Active and standby. but i system i would like to do loand balancing.

and on my system we don't have Vlan.

Do you have any document or some idea on this case?

Best Regards,

David

Hi David,

You want your both the switch to share the load then you need to create vlans in switch and need to run hsrp with vlan basis making one switch as gateway for one vlan and same for other.

Check out the below link for the same on HSRP

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094e90.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Dear Ganesh.H,

I would like to ask you again for loand balancing on Cisco switch 3560.

on Cisco switch 3560 2 units i want to configure ethernnel for connect to server. the total server around 10 units.

so i mean that on server i have 2 network card (one connect to switch 3560(01) on port f0/1 and other connect to switch 3560(02) on port f0/2.

Is it possible to do like this?

if it can do like this, is it work fine or not?

Please kindly see comman as below:

Coreswith 01

interface FastEthernet0/1
channel-group 1 mode active

Coreswith 02

interface FastEthernet0/1
  channel-group 1 mode active

and File Server conncert to switch f0/1 (both switches)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coreswith 01

interface FastEthernet0/2
  channel-group 2 mode active

Coreswith 02

interface FastEthernet0/2
  channel-group 2 mode active

and Mail Server conncert to switch f0/2 (both switches)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coreswith 01

interface FastEthernet0/3
  channel-group 3 mode active

Coreswith 02

interface FastEthernet0/3
  channel-group 3 mode active

and Web Server conncert to switch f0/3 (both switches)

|

|

|

|

|

Please help to advise on this .....

rechard_hk wrote:

Dear Ganesh.H,

I would like to ask you again for loand balancing on Cisco switch 3560.

on Cisco switch 3560 2 units i want to configure ethernnel for connect to server. the total server around 10 units.

so i mean that on server i have 2 network card (one connect to switch 3560(01) on port f0/1 and other connect to switch 3560(02) on port f0/2.

Is it possible to do like this?

if it can do like this, is it work fine or not?

You can't do this with the 3560 switches because as with most Catalyst switches the etherchannel members must be on the same switch ie. you cannot have the same etherchannel spread across 2 switches.

You can spread an etherchannel across 2 switches with -

1) 3750 stack using MEC (Multichassis etherchannel)

2) 6500 running VSS

3) Nexus switches using VPCs (Virtual Port Channels)

Jon

Dear Jon,

so i had arleady cisco switch 3560. could you help to advise the way that i can do load balancing?

Best Regards,

rechard

I can't read visio docs so it's a bit difficult to say. For the server you can either -

1) use an etherchannel to just one of the switches but then if the switch dies you have lost the server

2) dual hone the server one NIC to each 3560 switch. Then you can either run them active/standby or active/active. Note i have never done active/active so not sure how well it works with Cisco switches.

Jon

Dear Jon,

last time, Mr.Ganeshh recomment me to do GLBP on cisco switch. but it difficult to do, so want to try other way and easier that this.

Best Regards,

Rechard

rechard_hk wrote:

Dear Jon,

last time, Mr.Ganeshh recomment me to do GLBP on cisco switch. but it difficult to do, so want to try other way and easier that this.

Best Regards,

Rechard

Rechard

To load balance between the 3560 switches and the router i would use 2 L3 routed P2P links.

As for the servers, the 3560 doesn't support GLBP as far as i know so the only other option you have if you want to spread the load between switches is MHSRP. I'm not a huge fan of it myself as it requires that you configure different default-gateways on the servers ie.

you have 1 HSRP group with the active on 35601 and the standby on 35602

you have a second HSRP group with the active on 35602 and the standby on 35602

these groups are applied to the same L3 vlan interface. Then on half your servers you set the default-gateway to be the VIP for HSRP group 1 and on the other half of your server you set the VIP for HSRP group 2. That way half your servers use 35601 as their default-gateway and the other half use 35602 as their default-gateway.

Jon

Dear Jon,

Best Regards,

Rechard

Hi Rechard,

In my previous post also i have suggested you to have HSRP configuration on your 3560 switches for internal vlan traffic going out to router with active/active configuration.

If server are having two nic connected with different switches then configure the nic in Active/passive fashion to have redundancy build at server end.As Jon said cross tack etherchannel is not supported in cisco 3560 series switches.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Dear Ganesh.H and All,

Thanks you for strongly support!!!

Last time, i use to HSRP for Active/Standby but i ddn't know HSRP can do Active/Active.

could you let me know some configuration for HSRP with Active/Active?

Note: All my server connect to Core-Switch(2 unite).

Best Regards,

rechard

Hi David,

HSRP will be the best solution for the Desktop PC's.

GLBP wont be much use as the Access switch connecting to the Collapsed Core switches will

block one path, unless you put half of you desktops on one VLAN and the other half on the VLAN and run HSRP on each.

Then configure VLAN based load balancing via STP.

For the servers, because you have you Core/Distribution and Access Layers all collapsed into the 3560
its going to make it a little bit difficult.

You may want to run a trunk/link between the two 3560 otherwise you are segmenting the server connections.

Generally Fail on fault on a server NIC is done via teaming with the same IP addressing and with your current topology you

would have to present the same IP addresses to the internet router on two different interfaces on that router.

Might run into some issues there.

Again if you are using SVIs (VLAN Interfaces) you could use VLAN load balancing by configuring on set of servers on one VLAN

and the rest on another.

Then get one of the 3560's to be the HRSP active and make sure the servers active fault tolerant NIC is plugged into the switch.

Do the same on the other switch for both of them.

For the WAn/Internet its a bit more difficult.

If the 3560's have the EMI image you could configure OSPF between the two 3560 and then get each of them to form an OSPF

adjacency with the Internet router.

This will only give you load balancing from the Internet into the LAN.

With the above VLAN based load balancing each active VLAN would forward traffic over the closest link to the WAN router.

If there's failure, then they would use the alternate link via the other 3560.

Does that help?

Chris

Hi racherd,

If is understood you question correctely - you are looking into a loadbalancing from Server to the Routers,

please check my network diagram hope it may help you requirement.

Regards

Srinivas 

Dear Srinivas ,

Sorry for late reply you!!!!

On your diagram it should be like this!!!

could you let me know which protocol should i use or do you have sample configuration, Please share to me !!!

Best Regards,

Rechard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card