cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP526W router will not connect to ADSL.

Jerry Collins
Level 1
Level 1

Help please,

I have purchased a Cisco Small business Pro SRP 526W modem/router for use in the UK on ADSL.

On plugging it in and setting up, the device does not recognise the adsl service at all. I have checked the DSL interface is enabled.

The ADSL status shows DSL Status Idle and DSL modulation mode NOT TRAINED and, unlike any other ADSL device I have used, does not seem to retry connecting. Other ADSL modem routers connected to this line work ok.

I presumed the device was faulty, but thought I would check the firmware version and update it as this is a new(ish) model.

The device status screen is attached and the firmware version is 1.01.01 (006) Jan 22 ,2010

A later version is available and I downloaded it. After combing thru the extensive documention, checking Cisco web site and searching every screen on the device I can't find how to upgrade the firmware.

I know that it's in there as the help refers to it.

Can anyone tell me;

1. Is this the right device for normal UK ADSL.

2. Where is the firmware upgrade option.

3. Should I RMA it as it is clearly bricked.

4. Why Cisco would put their name to such a poorly documented device

Any response would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

SRP526 supports ADSL2+ over ISDN bearers.  In the UK, ISDN over POTS (analogue telephone) lines is used exclusively.  For this, you will require the SRP527W.

Documentation for the SRP500 is posted on Cisco.com at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10500/tsd_products_support_series_home.html.  The Admin Guide should provide you with the information you need.

For your information, to upgrade code on this device, you must log in as "admin", default password "admin" (as you did), rather than using the basic "cisco" user log in and then select Adminstration > Firmware Upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Andy

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

I've got exactly the same problem with another SRP526W.

This was supposed to be an upgrade to an existing Draytek Router but I had to leave the existing Draytek in place (working fine) because this Cisco 526 would not detect the incoming ADSL signal.

According to the Cisco site, the router is supposed to have a 'Remote Firmware Update' facility but I can't find it and I am unable to download the update from the Cisco website.

Going to try Cisco warranty tech support tomorrow, if I get any joy I will post a solution here later.

Fingers Crossed

Good luck

Regards - Jerry. (M)

On 13 May 2010, at 21:32, "ciscologindavebaxx"

Remote upgrade is a feature that is primarily provided for service providers that use the SRP500:  Part of the device provisioning allows the location (in the SP network) of a new image to be defined.

To upgrade locally, log in with admin/admin and select Adminstration > Firmware Upgrade.

Andy

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

SRP526 supports ADSL2+ over ISDN bearers.  In the UK, ISDN over POTS (analogue telephone) lines is used exclusively.  For this, you will require the SRP527W.

Documentation for the SRP500 is posted on Cisco.com at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10500/tsd_products_support_series_home.html.  The Admin Guide should provide you with the information you need.

For your information, to upgrade code on this device, you must log in as "admin", default password "admin" (as you did), rather than using the basic "cisco" user log in and then select Adminstration > Firmware Upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Hi,

Can you confirm this model will not work on UK broadband (as this is what you seem to suggest).

Can't even get a sync light.

Where are the logs?  Are they under the admin login?

Is there anything that explains the VLANs anywhere.  I am replacing a router in a business; they use static IPs rather than DHCP and I suspect this is preventing correct connection.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Brian,

The device I had was not compatible with UK ADSL and was eventually taken back and refunded.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

OK Thanks.  What did you get instead?

Cheers

Brian

Hi,

The SRP527W support ADSL2+ Annex A services that are available in the UK.

Regards,

Andy

Hi Brian,

We purchased the SRP526 for internal evaluation so didn't really replace it as such. I think the SRP527 is the correct UK version as the other post suggests.

We have used the SR520 router which is a more classic IOS router and the SA520 Security Appliance with ADSL modems which I quite like. It depends on what you are after.

Cheers - Jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: