cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to calculate Avg TX & RX utilization (%) for a 6500 switch interface

jennyjohn
Level 1
Level 1

I have 6500 switch at a remote office. I don't have an LMS and I am unable to run Netflow because the link is very slow. I have to find out the average tx utilization and average rx utilization (in percentage) for all interfaces of the switch. How can I calculate that?

The following cisco link gives the calculation for Input & Output utilization
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008009496e.shtml

#show interfaces gigabitEthernet 1/1 counters will give me the InOctets & OutOctets and with a delta time of 30seconds, but I am getting a wrong value.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The formula in this tech tip is correct.  Can you provide the raw numbers for input and output octets from a few polling intervals for one sample interface in addition to the ifSpeed of that interface?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The formula in this tech tip is correct.  Can you provide the raw numbers for input and output octets from a few polling intervals for one sample interface in addition to the ifSpeed of that interface?

Thanks Joe, the formula is correct. My speed value was initially wrong and so I got the wrong result. The value obtained is the tx & rx utilization and not the average.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: