cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2821 will not boot from flash

calkins.t
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2821 that will not boot from any CF.  I have confirmed that the CF are in good working order by using them in another 2821.  The bootup looks like this...

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Initializing memory for ECC
c2821 processor with 524288 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized
device does not contain a valid FS
boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

rommon 1 >

I have even formated a new CF and copied an IOS to it.  That did not work either.

19 Replies 19

calkins.t
Level 1
Level 1

If I do a dir flash: command in rommon I get the repsonse...

dir: cannot open device "flash:"

I have have tested this CF in another 2821 and I can read the files on the CF without problem.

I've never seen this before.  I believe you have to RMA this because the router is possibly running an old Bootstrap.  USB-boot support starts with 12.4(13r)T6.

Do you know of any way to have this repaired without buying a service contract?

It looks like the flash has the wrong file system formated for the device. Try this command    erase flash:   if that does not work try format flash:

The command erase will make the flash a low end file system (LEFS) which is a class B format

The command format will make the flash simular to DOS bot it not DOS, and this is a class C format

Do not use DOS to format this, it must be done in the router itself.

Mike

The router is in rommon mode and those commands are not available.  Also, the CF

in question works in my others routers OK.  But, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Did you try any of the other flash you have? did it get the same result?

Mike

I am erasing the CF on another router and then copying software to it to see if that will work.

So I erased a CF in another router.  Then I installed the erased CF in the router in question.  Then I started a xmodem transfer of the OS and I got the message "dir:cannot open device "flash:"".  It let me start the xmodem transfer but I have a feeeling that it will not work.  Should the CF light be flickering while doing a xmodem tranfer of new software?

I have not had to do the xmodem transfer that much so I do not know about the light. Did you take the flash out of a working router and try and boot using that? If that does not work then it could be a system board problem.

Mike

calkins.t
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I have tried a CF from a working router with the same result.  I started an xmodem transfer on a different router and the CF light does not flash and I did not get the message about not being able to read the driectory on flash:.  So it looks like the system board or bootstrap problem.

Anyone know how I could upgrade the rommon on this router?  Is it possible in the state that it is in?

have u tried using tftp rather than xmodem?

rommon 1 > ...
IP_ADDRESS=192.168.1.100
IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.0
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TFTP_SERVER=192.168.1.50
TFTP_FILE=c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-5a.bin
tftpdnld (this command kicks off the tftp download)

Francisco

Been trying TFTP transfer using tftpd32.  It connects to the

TFTP server but never transfers anything.  It just keeps reconnecting and trying to transfer without ever

getting any files.

Downloading now.  I had to set the interface speed on the router to 100/FD using the GE_SPEED_MODE setting.  It didn't like auto.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: