Views
Helpful
Replies

connect two locations using DWDM

inahhedammah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am planing to connect two sites using cisco dwdm, the distance between them is 50 km,

i need 4 channels or 8 channels DWDM device.

i was wondering if it's possible to do that using CWDM.

any help please.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is possible to have up to 8 CWDM (GE) channels over 50km using the following products:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet0900aecd8029d01b.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6575/product_data_sheet09186a00801a557c.html

Additionally, if you wanted to add 8 DWDM channels (10G capable) to this same network, you can add the following solution:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/product_data_sheet0900aecd806a1c36.html

I hope this helps!

Thank you for reply,

I feel something is missing , as my understood the input of CWDM device for instance "CWDM-MUX8A" should be optical,

so how it could be (GE).

i hope i am not out of the line.

Thanks

The input to the CWDM-MUX8A is the optical signals from an optical transceiver module (typically an SFP or GBIC transceiver module ) installed in the switch/router's trunk interface.  The output of the CWDM-MUX8A is to the fiber cable which links the sites together.

What equipment and services are you planning to transport over the CWDM equipment?

Thanx~

Tom

mm.., let's see, right now i am planing to use

• GBICWS-G5483 as a converter .
  • CWDM-MUX8A to transfer signals over 8 channels.

what do you see ?! is it ok ?

oh ! one more thing , that means the "CWDM-MUX8A" has fiber interface, and there is

CAT5 "for instance" cable connect between the GBIC on swich/router and the fiber port, Correct ?!

Thanks

You would swap out the WS-G5483 1000Base-T GBIC for a CWDM GBIC, which has an optical output that is tuned to a specific CWCM channel.  This CWDM GBIC would then interface to the appropriate CWDM MUX-8A input port using a duplex, singlemode fiber jumper. 

See CWCM Installation Guide.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Tom

Thank you very much.

basicly, i connection between the router and "CWDM  MUX-8A" might be singlemode fiber, so

i belive if i want to use the 8 channels, i will use all 1000Base-T GBIC, 8 singlemode fiber

connection+8 CWDM OADMS 1000Base-T GBIC (1470,...) , right ?

If you are just connecting 2 locations with 8 GE circuits (all routers compatible with GBIC CWDM transceivers), the attached document outlines the equipment you will need.

I hope this helps!

Tom

Thanks, now i have clear idea

I think i still need LC connecotrs,?

Is this scenario good for SAN storage extention.

The CWDM-MUX8A has LC style connectors and the GBIC optical transceivers have the SC style connector.  So your fiber optic jumpers will need to have one end SC/UPC and LC/UPC on the other end.

If some of your switches/routers use pluggable SFP optical transceivers (instead of GBICs), these devices use LC style connectors.  So, in this case, your jumpers will be LC to LC.

Suitability for storage applications depends on the services to be transported and you future needs.  1G and 2G services can be transported over this CWDM network using the CWDM GBIC/SFPs.  I am not seeing CWDM/DWDM GBIC/SFPs for higher speed 4/8G FC & 10 FC services.  10GE can be added to this network with the EWDM solution, which adds a pair of DWDM filters to the CWDM filters and also adds optical amplification for the DWDM channels (due to the distance).

The following Cisco papers outline the transport options for storage applications.

Transport Options for Data Center Optical  Interconnection

Storage Networking over a Metro Network

Thanks alot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco