Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 upgrade from Sup2 to Sup720

IT Nobel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are planing an upgrade on one of our 6509 switches from 2 redundant Sup2 modules to 2 redundant Sup720 modules.

The hardware part of this upgrade we have covered.

The  need for WS-6509-NEB-UPGRD kit, a 2500 W or larger power supply, the  slots and everything.

Whate we are concerned and a bit  foggy is the configuration part.

How can the  configuration of the switch be transferred from the Sup2 to Sup720  modules with as less downtime as possible.

What changes must be  done to the configuration, and when (considering the fact that the  module position is changing (sup2-slot1&2 , sup720 slot 5&6) and  some port modules will change position.

I have searched the cisco documentaion but there i couldn't find anything other than the hardware part.

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

We are planing an upgrade on one of our 6509 switches from 2 redundant Sup2 modules to 2 redundant Sup720 modules.

The hardware part of this upgrade we have covered.

The  need for WS-6509-NEB-UPGRD kit, a 2500 W or larger power supply, the  slots and everything.

Whate we are concerned and a bit  foggy is the configuration part.

How can the  configuration of the switch be transferred from the Sup2 to Sup720  modules with as less downtime as possible.

What changes must be  done to the configuration, and when (considering the fact that the  module position is changing (sup2-slot1&2 , sup720 slot 5&6) and  some port modules will change position.

I have searched the cisco documentaion but there i couldn't find anything other than the hardware part.

Any help will be grately appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

Check out the below link !!

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/71585/cat6k-red-supeng-swimg-upg.pdf

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Personally I wouldn't leave it to a hybrid conversion tool . You are going to have to look at the catos l2 commands and the msfc L3 configs and determine what the equivalent commands are going to be in native IOS and how you will test them once implemented .  This will not be a quick process so give yourself an extended downtime window to do this .

Hello,

We ar enot running CatOS on the Sup2 we have now.

We have IOS Version 12.2(18)SXF16 on them, and the configuration is for IOS.

We have not bought the units yet so i do not know whith what IOS version will they arrive, if any.

Basicly what i wanted to know is if we can do something like:

copy the startup-config on disk0:

(the image is already on disk0:)

shut down unit,

remove the Sup2 from slot 1 and 2; remove the port blades from slot 5, 6

insert blades in slot 5, 6

place the flash card from the Sup2's PCMCIA slots into the sup720

power up the unit

the unit will boot in rommon

set  up the boot variable to the one in the flash card

reboot supervisors (of course the whole shabang that is in the link above with the ios upgrade)

copy the startup-config in running-config and nvram

can this work?

Hey IT Nobel, were you able to complete the upgrade with the procedure you listed below?

I am performing the same upgrade this weekend and plan on using that same procedure.

copy the startup-config on disk0:

(the image is already on disk0:)

shut down unit,

remove the Sup2 from slot 1 and 2; remove the port blades from slot 5, 6

insert blades in slot 5, 6

place the flash card from the Sup2's PCMCIA slots into the sup720

power up the unit

the unit will boot in rommon

set  up the boot variable to the one in the flash card

reboot supervisors (of course the whole shabang that is in the link above with the ios upgrade)

copy the startup-config in running-config and nvram

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card