Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat5e patch couplers with cat 6 cables

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

Can anyone clarify if I am ok to use Cat 6 cable with some cat5e patch panel couplers ? would the couplers be able to handle 10 gig if I wanted this ?

cheers

Carl

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all

Can anyone clarify if I am ok to use Cat 6 cable with some cat5e patch panel couplers ? would the couplers be able to handle 10 gig if I wanted this ?

cheers

Carl

Carl,

You can use the connector, but it could decrease the transmission performance,I doubt however that the decrease would be noticeable in most situations.
At normal speeds and distances it won’t be a problem. Connection will work.

Cat5e was designed with Gigabit in mind. However, speeds are rated at like 350M instead of the 550M-1000M with Cat6. In any case, it should work fine.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi there

Will the couplers decrease the performance ?

also you say vendors dont use twisted pair for 10gig, do you mean they are using fibre?

cheers

Carl

It will not decrease performances.

For 10 gig, there are significant limitation when using copper, you can read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Gigabit_Ethernet#Copper_.2810GBASE-X.2F10GBASE-T.29

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no problem whatsoever in doing that.

Note that cisco and most other vendors do not use twisted pair copper for 10 gig.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card