cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Logoff idle VPN users possible? ASA 5520.

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I'm using a Cisco ASA 5520 with IOS 8.2.2.  We have many remote users using the Cisco VPN client, but I have been asked can we logout idle users as we do hit our license limit and some users stay conenct for days.

Thing is how can you tell it's an idle user?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

Yes and no...

In the Q&A, you can find this information...

If there is no communication activity on a user connection during this 30-minute period, the system terminates the connection. The default idle timeout setting is 30 minutes, with a minimum allowed value of 1 minute and a maximum allowed value of 2,147,483,647 minutes (more than 4,000 years).

Choose Configuration > User Management > Groups and choose the appropriate group name to modify the idle timeout setting. Select Modify Group, go to the HW Client tab, and type the desired value in the User Idle Timeout field. Type 0 to disable timeout and allow an unlimited idle period.

In the real world, it doesn't work because host are always chatting with some corporate server like exchange and it's keeping the connection up. I deal with this issue by enforcing a connection timeout. If the user is realy in front of the host, he will reconnect. The trick is to use a timout value that users can live with.

You can configure  "vpn-simultaneous-logins" in the group-policy.

Lets say that the value for "vpn-simultaneous-logins" is 3. When the 4th user will connect, the ASA would automatically disconnect the user with the most idle time and the 4th user will connect.

HTH

Mitesh

sanbachu
Level 1
Level 1

COMMAND:

user-authentication-idle-timeout <10 >

The above command is used under vpn group policy

After user gets authenticated and not using the vpn for 10 mins the user will disconnected dynamically by ASA.

I think it should be helpful !

Thanks,

santosh

Dear sanbachu,

we tried with this command but not able to fix. 

under the group policy we have this command 

vpn-idle-timeout 15
vpn-session-timeout 7200

Dear Andy,

Greetings............

I hope you are doing well, i would like to know that, have your issue been solved if it is kindly can you provide any running config related to the above issue...........

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: