Placement of VPN Appliance on Internal Network

Unanswered Question
May 7th, 2010
User Badges:

I've looked in a lot of places but haven't really found anything applicable to my situation. Where I work we are looking to deploy a 1812 series router for an internal vpn to provide access to a server farm on the internal network of the company I work for. As of right now this internal internal network is "protected" by a set of F5 BigIP Load Balancers and a Microsoft VPN. The problem is the only connection is through the load balancers. To the best of my understanding of networking and high availablity I would want to install the router with its own connection that is not behind the load balancers. Is this the correct assumption? Is there any guides that I could be pointed toward that addresses this type of configuration setup?

Thanks.

Current Configuration:

* Traffic to the Server Farm is restricted only to traffic for the applications hosted by the Farm

--------------------------              -------------------------              --------------------

| Internal Network |  ------>  | Load Balancers | ---------> | VPN Server |

---------------------------             -------------------------              --------------------

|                            |   * Traffic travels to the rest of the server farm through the vpn for server administration

|                            |

|                --------------------

------------> | Server Farm |

--------------------

New Theorical Setup:

--------------------------               -------------------------

| Internal Network |  ------>  | Load Balancers |

---------------------------              -------------------------

|                                           |

|                                           |

|                                           |                --------------------

|                                            ------------> | Server Farm |

|                                                            --------------------

|                                                                   |

|                                                                   |

|   *Administrative Traffic                 -----------------

------------------------------------------------->  | 1812 ISR |

----------------

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content