cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500 Failover

mantis32
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone setup UC500 Failover between two locations? What works and what doesn't? Pros and Cons? Would it still work with extension mobility?

Scenario are unit itself goes down, voice lines go down, and/or data service is down.

Looking to set this up across two sites. In theory it seems as though it would work.

Both units would be setup with profiles for the local office as well as the remote office. In the event of an outage, the phones would search for tftp2 across the VPN and come back online. In the event of a system outage, telco can redirect lines to the remote office uc500 system.

5 Replies 5

UC500 is not recommended or supported in this scenario. I recommend that you go with CME/ISR option.

Thanks,

Marcos

Okay, but is it possible?

It is possible... I have phones that register over a site to site VPN connection...  with no local UC500... I think there would be a manual type of setup on the phones though... like TFTP and CALL MANAGER settings... but it could work...  but again not supported and cluge.

John Nikolatos

www.niktek.com

Hi Eugene,

In theory yes it is possible, but not recommended as the UC-500 series has no inbuilt SRST or equivalent.

However I do not believe the UC would be the one directly responsible for this, you would need a router at the front, such as a 877/887 that could do the fail over for you, this way the phones do not need to be manually configured, the router in front would point the phones to where they need to register and the CME at that far end would take over from there.

We have a site working this way, but i caution you, it is high maintenance and can be troublesome... actually it is a massive pain in the rear end and i wish every day that the deal was turned down, the headaches it can produce due to it not properly being supported is one of the causes for me loosing my hair (Slowly and painfully).

You need to consider what Marcos pointed out, go the ISR path the small end 2800 series or even the 2900-CME range can do it and are more suited to it, they are not that much more expensive over the UC-500 either :)... Just no CCA, but if your handy with the CLI you will be fine.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Handy with the CLI yes. No need for the CCA as extension mobility will break the CCA at the current version. I have teleworkers at home with phones that register across the VPN to the UC500 at the main office.

I 'assume' it's a headache to maintain in the event of an outage or just maintaining a good config while keeping aware of the failover setup?