Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9971 phone and Video CAC issue

eseifer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The problem has to do with video Call Admission Control (CAC) between two phones in separate Regions.

The goal is to allow one audio-video call, but force the second concurrent call from one 9971 to another 9971 as a audio-only call.

I am trying to lab this with only two phones, so I am doing this by setting region/locations below what is required for a single call.

What happens is that phones try to make video calls, call connects, video drops, RTP drops but call remains up. And the weird thing is, the phones show sending audio RTP packets but not receiving any. Weirder yet, my packet captures don’t show ANY of the outbound RTP packets hitting the switch ports!

Scenario:

Running CUCM 7.1(3b)SU2
Phone load: sip9971.9-0-2

As far as I can tell “Retry Video Call as Audio” is set.

I have no AAR set.

I have phone A in Region A and phone B in region B
Location A:
audio codec = 1024 kbps
video bandwidth = 300 kbps (deliberately low bandwidth to make video call to induce video call failure)

Location B:
audio bandwidth = 1024 kbps
video bandwidth = 300 kbps (deliberately low bandwidth to make video call to induce video call failure)

The relationship between Region A’s and Region B is:
audio Codec: G.729 Video Call Bandwidth: 384

There is no routing/reachability issues between the phones.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to resolve this?

Thanks for your time!

7 Replies 7

lusandi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eseifer,

Download the latest device pack for your call manager version and everything should work.

Regards,

Luis Sandi

Hi Luis,

With the assistance of a Cisco TME, it appears that the issue happens when the CCM issues a re-INVITE to stop the video/audio RTP. In the new INVITE the SDP information directs the sending phone to send the audio RTP to its OWN listening port.

When you mention the "Device Pack" are you referring to the phone load and CCM release updates or something different? I am already on latest phone load (sip9971.9-0-2) and I am running CUCM 7.1(3a).

The release notes for CUCM 7.1(5) mention SDP re-negotiations, but nothing specifically addressing my issue. Do you know if 7.1(5) addresses this?

Thanks.

Hello Eseifer,

I hope you are doing great,

I would like to let you know that I have worked an issue like this a couple of days ago, and as per my experience, I can let you know that in order to solve the problem, Cisco have release a new device pack, with a new version of your firmware to the solve the problem with the absence of video on those IP phones.

I hope this will be helpful.

Regards,

Hi Luis,

So this is being resolved with a Phone Firmware update? Do you have any info regarding its release?

Thanks.

FYI: Cisco Bug ID CSCth12374 has been created regarding this issue.

Dear All,

I have Cisco 9971 phones which i am trying to install with CUCM 7.1(3). As per datasheet it should be supported.
Initially i could not even see it in the list of devices on the CUCM .Than i installed the device patch from Cisco and list started showingg me on the device list.
But still it is not registering.

I was reading on web that you need to upgrade the phones to 7.1(3b)su2.....is it true?

Also the phones comes with SIP firmware...does the installation process is same for SIP or SCCP?

Can someone guide me how to upgrade the CUCM version and the correct firmware to use?

Thanks

Hi Nomy,

You dont have to upgrade your CUCM.It works fine with 7.1.3.

The Firrmware for 9971 that we use is sip9971.9-0-2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: