Views
Helpful
Replies

cucm 8 on vmware

Kapil Atrish
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all,

M trying to install CUCM 8.0 (1) on VMWare Workstation 5.0, tried following settings:

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 72GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 80GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 72GB

SCSI HDD 2 (0:1) 72GB

SCSI HDD 1 (0:0) 80GB

SCSI HDD 2 (0:1) 80GB

Every time I am getting the error during hardware check :

Critical Error

Validation error on HSSI mode:

VMWare Validation Failure:

Unable to validate VMWare based server disk settings.

Please check SCSI disks are at least 72GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings.

My hardware is AMD Quad-Core with 4GB Ram. Attaching the screen-shot of the error also. Has anyone seen this error and knows any workaround?

Thanks in advance,

inner_silence

40 Replies 40

Kapil Atrish
Level 3
Level 3

see the screen-shot for exact error message.

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

CUCM 8 only supports ESX/ESXi.

Michael

On top of only working with ESXi  (ESX works but isn't supported by the BU), you will likely only get this to work on Intel processors. Also note that VMware support technically wasn't added until 8.0(2).

Trying to get CUCM to work on AMD system is a nightmare, which I haven't realized until I was faced with one.

I can't say much about CUCM 8, however in case of CUCM 7.x, I did a workaround this to get it to work on a quad-core AMD system by building the server on Intel machine and then transfering the vm-ware image to the AMD system. This should work for most of the functionality, however there are still some items you'll have problems with, such as you won't be able to play with MOH, as the server won't register on AMD machine for some reason.

Not that this is hugely relevant but I was able to get 8.0 loaded on vmware server 2.0.  Intel - not AMD.  I just completed the build so I have not fully tested the functionality.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi

I got 8.0(1) to run in Workstation fine, but then tried to upgrade to 8.0(2), and it failed.

I then resorted to building myself a little ESXi setup, and migrating the VM using a converter. Still had some problems, so then went to a Cisco-UCS spec VM (6GB, 2CPU, SCSI HDD at 0:0) and all was well. At this stage I'm wondering whether it was the switch to ESXi, the VM spec changes, or both that were required.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Cisco's spec was overkilled.  Here's the "pratical spec":

1 CPU

2 G Memory

75G HDD

RedHat Enterprise 4.0 32-bit

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

I'm getting the same error from system install CD CUCM 8.0(1) on: ESXi 4.0 Update 1 with Intel duo core's 2 GB ... and only an 80 G HD.

Unable to validate VMWare based server disk settings.

Please check SCSI disks are at least 72GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings.

The virtual host is formatting the HD into several different partitions leaving only 60G of usable space.  I realize that this is a Cisco related forum I will also ask this on vmware.com forum but does anyone know of a way to get the datastore to format differently?

Might not be the answer you want to hear, but you'd better upgrade the HDD.  With only 80G HDD, you'd run into problem either with ESX or with CUCM.

1TB (1000GB) HDD is around $50 nowadays.  It'll save you lots of trouble.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Yep already in processg I'm just impatient and would like work out any other problems prior to it.  Thanks.

Hi

I install my ESXi hypervisor onto a USB key; that way the disks are independant and can be bungled in to one big array to maximise space. I find a 2GB key is plenty.

Secondly, you can use 'thin' provisioned disks rather than provisioning all space; I've not run out of space with a CCM even after upgades and on my smallest server with only 60GB storage.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

That got me by that error.  Thanks Aaron.  Now I'm getting all the way to the end of the install it reboots then it comes back with "Installation failed you must restart the install to recover". 

Still stuck with this error:

I've tried everything I could think of and researched... not production but I'd like to get it working!

kinwai
Level 1
Level 1

mine works on workstation 7.1 and 2 x scsi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: