AP deployment - design question

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2010
User Badges:

Hi,

I've just done my IUWVN class this week and one slide in the course docu was about the AP deployment.

Cisco recommends to put not more then 16 APs in the same subnet/VLAN together with the WLC managment interface.

So if you've more APs you should put it in a dedicated VLAN but with a max. of 80-100 APs.

That would result in a lot of different AP VLANs in a big deployment.

Anyone has more infos/documents/links as I'm not able to find anything about this "best practice" on the Cisco homepage... or how are you doing it in your deployment, do you follow this recommendations !?

Thanks,

Ron

Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Sat, 05/08/2010 - 22:33
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Ron,

You sure it ain't 16 SSIDs?  I've never seen this before statement before even though I've read the WLC configuration guides.

Surendra BG Sat, 05/08/2010 - 22:54
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi All,

Its always 16.. Coz if you observe any Radio MAC, it ends with a last hex value as 0 and since its a hex value.. it can extend till F that is 16..

For example..

the below is the Radio MAC..

00:1b:d5:26:b6:e0 here we need to concentrate on 00:1b:d5:26:b6:e"0" (the last digit) when we configure each SSID it will be incremented by 1 and extends till F,  thats is 0>> 1>> 2>> 3 >>>>>>F then it wont.So its 16.

I hope this answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

rdvorak Sun, 05/09/2010 - 06:55
User Badges:

Hi and thanks for the feedback but I'm really talking about APs and not BSSIDs per AP.

Here the clause from the IUWVN official training material Volume1 page 2-123......

######

APs should be on different subnets from the end users.

This is consistent with general best-practice guidelines, which specify that infrastructure managment interfaces should be on a seperate subnet from end users.

Cisco also recommends limiting the number of APs in the controller managment interfaces subnet to no more then 16.

#####

The other value of max. 80-100 APs per VLAN was shown by the trainer to give more infos on the topic and was from the mobility training material which I haven't attend yet so I couldn't give you the exact clause for that one.

But as that was important to me (never heard about it) we've discussed and he was clear that this are the values that you should go for.

He even told us that they had a problem with in the lab setup after the put 7 WLCs and a handfull APs in the same subnet and to solve it they put the hardware in different subnets.

Thanks,

Ron

Leo Laohoo Sun, 05/09/2010 - 15:48
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

He even told us that they had a problem with in the lab setup after the put 7 WLCs and a handfull APs in the same subnet and to solve it they put the hardware in different subnets.

I agree with this.  When you deploy, the WLC are on their own subnets and the APs are on their own VLAN subnets.  It's in the deployment guide.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content