cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using RV016 with DSL modem/wireless/router

cunnida56
Level 1
Level 1

I have a configuration question which will likely seem obvious to many readers, so please go easy on me -- I am new at this.  I have used a RV016 because it will let me have diversity and backup for routes to the internet for our small business.  Since we now rely on insurance and credit card processing that is via the Internet, I do not want to be down if the cable carrier fails, so I added DSL service.  When the DSL service arrived, the carrier provided a Motorola 3347 modem that includes router, switch, and wireless capabilities in one unit.  Rather than install a WAP, I would like to use the wireless function of the 3347.

However, users on the wireless cannot print to printers on the RV016.  Is there a way that I can make the printers visible to the wireless users?

Picture shows the problem ...

MD Network Question.jpg

Again, assume I am missing the point and GENTLY try to educate me.

Thanks very much.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Cunnida56

If I recall the RV016 is setup in what's called  Gateway mode by default  and you will need to be in router mode.

Gateway mode basically enables Network Addresss Translation (NAT) services, so that the LAN is NATed against the WAN IP address.

You have a option under setup>advanced routing to set the RV016 to Router mode, take that option and save the settings.

In router mode NAT is disabled, but you will also have to  disable  SPI,  firewall  options and block wan requests, all these options are  found under the firewall tab.

Your next step  will be to add a static route in the motorola 3347 that points to the 192.168.2.0 network.

This static route will allow wireless clients to know the WAN1 address of the RV016, which will act as a gateway to the 192.168.2.0 network.

Good luck.. and have fun, just remember to save or apply your chages as you go. 

regards Dave

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Cunnida56

If I recall the RV016 is setup in what's called  Gateway mode by default  and you will need to be in router mode.

Gateway mode basically enables Network Addresss Translation (NAT) services, so that the LAN is NATed against the WAN IP address.

You have a option under setup>advanced routing to set the RV016 to Router mode, take that option and save the settings.

In router mode NAT is disabled, but you will also have to  disable  SPI,  firewall  options and block wan requests, all these options are  found under the firewall tab.

Your next step  will be to add a static route in the motorola 3347 that points to the 192.168.2.0 network.

This static route will allow wireless clients to know the WAN1 address of the RV016, which will act as a gateway to the 192.168.2.0 network.

Good luck.. and have fun, just remember to save or apply your chages as you go. 

regards Dave

Using your advice, will it affect the ability of the RV016 to handle the local users (printers and users are connected to RV016) if the DSL device goes down and service has to be carried by the cable modem (on the left)?

It seems to me that switch the mode to router extends the reach of the DSL modem/router, but I am not clear what will happen if that device is down---where will DHCP addresses come from?

One of the key things I need to have is a layer of redundancy and while the hardware does not go down very often, the circuits do.  If the DSL box is UP, but it cannot connect with the outside world, will load sharing shift the load to the cable modem if the RV016 is in router mode?

/Alan/

Hi Alan,

Glad to know your first name.:)

Yes ..darn good point you make concerning the backup WAN interface. You mentioned that the backup link is a modem and not a router. You even show it on your diagram...sorry i should have thought about that implication of just a cable modem on the backup WAN link.

By putting the RV016 into router mode, NAT services will be down. So this cannot occur as the backup WAN interface will need to DHCP a IP address from the service provider.  The RV016 will need to have NAT running in that circumstance.

If your PC's require  access to the printers, it really might mean re-engineering the network.

It will mean adding a Access point to the printer LAN  and allowing PC clients to work in the same network as the printers.  That's the simplest setup or change you can make.

So, your customer will have to spend some money on a AP like the WAP200,  WAP2000, WAP4410N or AP541. This will allow wireless client in the PC's to  connect to the Printers network.

You will have to spend  that extra bit of extra money on a AP and ignore the wireless link provided by the Service Provider.

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: