Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on network cabling ...

Hi,

I have not done much cabling in the past but need to do for a setup. Basically I need to setup a switch in a conference room that goes to a

4506 switch.

My questions area as follows :-

1. I should be using a 'cross cable' and connect a network cable on the 3560 switch to a network port on the conference room right ? The rest of the cabling from the network port to the patch panel on the Comms room  and the patch panel from Comms Room to the 4506 switch is straight cable. Would this be correct ?

2. If it is a direct connection between a 4506 switch and a 3560 switch, it should be a cross connect cable as well right ?

Pls advice,

Cheers,

InternetB.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yes to answer both your questions, however since you have a 3560 at one end; you can use a really usefull feature MDIX

Both interfaces must be auto/auto for speed & duplex on both sides.  With MDIX the switch will recognise it needs to have

a cross over cable - but will auto perform software x-over on the switch port.

Ensure on them port the 3560 connects to the 4506 you also have "mdix auto" is on as default - but just make sure.

HTH>

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Yes to answer both your questions, however since you have a 3560 at one end; you can use a really usefull feature MDIX

Both interfaces must be auto/auto for speed & duplex on both sides.  With MDIX the switch will recognise it needs to have

a cross over cable - but will auto perform software x-over on the switch port.

Ensure on them port the 3560 connects to the 4506 you also have "mdix auto" is on as default - but just make sure.

HTH>

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I have not done much cabling in the past but need to do for a setup. Basically I need to setup a switch in a conference room that goes to a

4506 switch.

My questions area as follows :-

1. I should be using a 'cross cable' and connect a network cable on the 3560 switch to a network port on the conference room right ? The rest of the cabling from the network port to the patch panel on the Comms room  and the patch panel from Comms Room to the 4506 switch is straight cable. Would this be correct ?

2. If it is a direct connection between a 4506 switch and a 3560 switch, it should be a cross connect cable as well right ?

Pls advice,

Cheers,

InternetB.

Hi ,

You connect traditional switches with crossover cables. You can use straight-through with an uplink port or if you have a smart switch that can use both types of cables.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

As a general rule

You connect two identical systems as well as no switch systems with cross over.

PC - PC = Cross over

Switch - Switch = Cross over

Router - Router = Cross over

Router - PC = Cross over

A note on auto mdix, while auto mdix is a very nice feature to have and use, you should still always connect with the correct cabeling.

Atleast on all the systems I have encountered when you set speed/duplex on a port the auto mdix feature is turned off,

and one of the problems is that you can not decide through the mdix feature weather or not it should emulate a cross over or a straight cable ( atleast i have not found any way to do that).

good luck

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card