Microsoft NLB with 2 Switches

Answered Question
May 10th, 2010
User Badges:

Hello

I am about to configure NLB for my company. We have 2 sites a production and DR site.

I am going to configure my switch with static ARP entries as seen in

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006525

My question is:

Should I also configure my DR site switch with static ARP entries ,in case my entire production site goes down?

Or should I wait til it happens?

Thanks in advance

Dermot Cronin

Correct Answer by Giuseppe Larosa about 6 years 11 months ago

Hello Dermot,

it shouldn't create a problem the fake ARP entry associated the IP address of the cluster with this multicast MAC address, but this should be used as a discovery mechanism to find out active server.

Other colleagues have setup in this way having two servers in different switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Mon, 05/10/2010 - 08:07
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Dermot,

>>

Should I also configure my DR site switch with static ARP entries ,in  case my entire production site goes down?

Or should I wait til it  happens?

if you have a L2 connection to DR site that is always on it should be wise to add entries on it and to map the multicast MAC address also to the ports between them (HQ and DR)

Actually the idea is to use static entries in ARP table and in CAM table so you need to "full mesh" also the CAM entries

Hope to help

Giuseppe

cdtinfrastructure Mon, 05/10/2010 - 08:20
User Badges:

Hello Giuseppe

thanks for your response

As the link between the Production and DR Sites is always up, will I not risk creating an endless loop if I configure both switches with the static ARP entries?

Dermot

Correct Answer
Giuseppe Larosa Mon, 05/10/2010 - 10:02
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Dermot,

it shouldn't create a problem the fake ARP entry associated the IP address of the cluster with this multicast MAC address, but this should be used as a discovery mechanism to find out active server.

Other colleagues have setup in this way having two servers in different switches.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Actions

This Discussion