cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2048 VLAN Trunking

aharlornn
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed a new SLM2048 into our LAN which includes several Linksys switches (SRW2048's)  We have been able to trunk VLANs on the SRW2048's but I can't figure out where to set that up on the SLM2048.  Could someone please help with this?  I have attached screenshots to help with my explanation.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

alissitz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Once you create the vlans, then you need to set the port for trunk or access.

If you set this to a trunk, then you will need to set which vlans are tagged and which vlan is untagged.  The untagged vlan is the native vlan, and this setting must match on both ends of the trunk link.  Here is an example:

Vlans 1, 10, and 100 are created and the port is set to trunk.

- Vlan 1 is the native vlan and is set to untagged on both switches connected to each other

- vlan 10 and 100 are set to tagged for the same port

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

If you look at the screenshots, you'll see that slm2048.png doesn't have the trunk option.  I have created 3 vlans and can't find the trunk option.

Thanks,

Adam

Humm ... I see what you mean.

The link to the SLM admin guide is:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/slm2024/administration/guide/SLM_Admin_Guide_Publish.pdf

It appears that the correct config is to make sure that the port is set to "all" (see page 31).

Then you want the native vlan to be untagged and the additional vlans to be set as tagged.

Try this and see if the vlans and their tags are maintained throughout your network.

In the future, I would suggest a more robust switch when you are performing trunking and all ... these small business switches are great for point products, and simply network expansion, however ... they may not have enough functionality when you are linking a more complex network together.

Even if they will work, they might not be your best choice for a more complex network.

HTH,

Andrew Lissitz

Hello!

I Have a similar issue.

I created a vlan for a new area.

vlan 5 native vlan

vlan 10 "new area"

The problem is I can´t establish conmunication between my vlan and new vlan.
Only I need provide DHCP, e-mail and NAS services in the new vlan.

Any idea?

Regards,

Josue

How are you communicating between VLANs?   How are you routing between the multiple vlans?

Can clients on either VLAN ping their default gateway, and does this default gateway know how to reach each vlan?

Do please let me know.

Have a great night!

Hi!

On router I have a squid server...

Now I remember the concept "router on stick", I'll investigate if on squid is possible do that.

pls see the attached image for further reference

thanks!

This is fine, router on a stick is a valid option for inter-vlan routing.

Do please let us know what you find out!

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X