Replies

Will site to site (IPSec) VPN work only if I configure it on primary line

parmar.pankaj
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 ISPs (leased lines)

ISP1 is 2mbps (secondary line)

ISP2 is 4mbps (primary line)

On my exisiting Sonicwall firewall VPN is tied up with ISP1 (2mbps) secondary line and working fine.

So my query is can I have the same scenario working in my new Cisco 2911 router.

Meaning running VPN on seconday line (2mbps)

Will these work? or do I need to make secondary line as primary line and then only VPN will work

Pl clarify

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Pankaj Parmar

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

parmar.pankaj wrote:

I have 2 ISPs (leased lines)

ISP1 is 2mbps (secondary line)

ISP2 is 4mbps (primary line)

On my exisiting Sonicwall firewall VPN is tied up with ISP1 (2mbps) secondary line and working fine.

So my query is can I have the same scenario working in my new Cisco 2911 router.

Meaning running VPN on seconday line (2mbps)

Will these work? or do I need to make secondary line as primary line and then only VPN will work

Pl clarify

Thanks in advance!!

Regards,

Pankaj Parmar

Pankaj

Not entirely sure i understand. The VPN will work on either interface, it just depends where you apply the crypto map ie. to which interface. The VPN in itself does not know or care what speed the line is that is running over.

Jon

Ok,

Let me put it this way

I just want to know whether VPN works on secondary line?

Because I want ISP2 (4mbps) higher bandwidth to be the primary line...

parmar.pankaj wrote:

Ok,

Let me put it this way

I just want to know whether VPN works on secondary line?

Because I want ISP2 (4mbps) higher bandwidth to be the primary line...

The VPN does not know it is using a secondary line so yes it would work as long as the secondary line was up and running and the router interface for that line was reachable then it should be fine.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: