cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Legacy non N clients connecting to 5ghz radio

jalsman
Level 1
Level 1

I just setup an Autonomous 1140 AP.  I want to keep my older clients connected to teh 2.4ghz radio and the N clients connected to the 5ghz radio.  I have set the 5ghz radio to have a channel width of 40mhz and above however a laptop with a g card can connect to this SSID/radio just fine albeit just at 54mbps.  Any recommendations on how to lock this down?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't use 40Mhz channel bond.  Use the 20Mhz if you don't have high-bandwidth.

we do have high bandwidth, it's connected to a gig port on the core.   If i dont use  40mhz then i wont see the 300mbps for the N clients right?  Id rather not saturate this radio with the older clients, a/b/g and just have it reserved for the N clients.  My concern is that older clients will be able to connect to it.  I do have a non n client that has a dual band nic in it, i believe it does b/g and a.  I disabled the a portion and now it connects to the 2.4 ghz radio.  Do a and n clients always connect to the 5ghz if it's available? 

Have a read at this document entitiled "Configure 802.11n on the WLC".  I know it's for controller-based but it's still an interesting read, nontheless.  Verify the client settings to see if it's configured for 802.11n.

Configure 802.11n on the WLC
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080a3443f.shtml#topic8

perhaps i have misspoke.  N clients can connect and get HT speeds, 300mbps.  So i dont have an issue with N clients connecting.  G clients can connect as well.

I would like to prevent non N clients from connecting to the 5ghz radio.  Anyone know of a way to do this?

G clients won't be connecting to that 5 GHz radio as they don't have a 5 GHz radio in them. I assume what you mean is that a/b/g clients are connecting to the 5 GHz radio, therefore the making use of their 5 GHz capability.

Cisco doesn't support the ability to exclude 802.11a clients at the moment (hopefully some day) and therefore I am preventing their connection with a script that disables the 802.11a radio forcing them to use their 2.4 GHz radio and connect to the 2.4 Ghz SSID I have setup.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: