Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting IP Communicator to physical IP phone

robmas0871
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'm trying to using the software Cisco IP Communicator 7.0.3 not in the common way (as a standalone phone with his own DN) but to control a physical Cisco IP phone. I explain:

i need to configure IP Communicator to connect and manage the physical phone: so when i dial a number from IP Communicator, i dial the number from the physical phone (in this case is Cisco 7975)

In other words, the IP Communicator must be a software control panel of the 7975: has no own DN because is not a standalone phone...i need to use it to do everything on my PC without touching the physical phone.

Does anyone knows own to accomplish this configuration ?

Thank you.

10 Replies 10

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot use CIPC for that.

You use "Call Connector" software.

Thank you,

i supposed i could have the same function in another way. In CUCM settings of Cisco IP communicator i find a field that is called "Primary Phone": here you can select a Physical phone that can be associated with Communicator. In the help page there is this description:

"Choose the physical phone that will be associated with the application, such as IP communicator or Cisco Unified Personal Communicator. When you choose a primary phone, the application consumes fewer device license units and is considered an "adjunct" license (to the primary phone). "

The manual speaks about how licensing mode in changed but does not specify the operational features of this setting. So i don't know what is the meaning of associating the comunicator with the 7975 and how to configure the software (which DN associate, ecc...)

Thank you.

It doesn't speak about that, because there is nothing to say about, it doesn't do what you are asking.

As indicated above, the standard method to have some control on a phone from a PC, is using "Call Connector" software. The marketing name may have changed, however it is very easy to find anyway on the Cisco website.

There is also third-party software however I do not ever tried it and do not have the link with me.

There are no operational impacts of this setting. The Primary Phone field exists on all soft phone devices starting in UCM 6.1 I believe and was added as part of the Adjunct Licensing concept. This allows up to two soft phone devices to be associated with a physical phone. If this is done, the soft phone will only consume a single DLU instead of it's normal quantity. Cisco added this as an incentive for customers to give users physical and soft phones.

The only way you can control a physical phone is through an application that performs third-party call control through CTI. Examples of this include Cisco Unified Personal Communicator with Unified Presence or Cisco Agent Desktop with the Contact Center Express product.

The configuration parameter you are describing is exclusively for licensing purposes.  As p.bevilacqua stated CIPC can't be used to acheive the functionality you are looking for.  The CIPC is a dedicated softphone.  Cisco's original softphone was a CTI based solution that did exactly what you are looking to do.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), this product has been retired.  You can still find it on CCO, but it is no longer supported in the latest CUCM releases.

The "unified call connector" that p.bevilacqua mentioned is an option if you are using Communications Manager Express (CME) only.  If you are using CUCM, then you need a CTI-based call control solution.  You could look for solutions outside of the Cisco product portfolio or you can look at solutions like Unified Personal Communicator (CUPC, which requires CUPS) or clients like CUCIMOC (which only applies if you are using Microsoft OCS and MOC).

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

The "unified call connector" that p.bevilacqua mentioned is an option if  you are using Communications Manager Express (CME) only

Recently, I have downloaded and quickly tested a version for CUCM. I think it's called Call Connector, not sure anymore where exactly it is stored, however I'm 100% positive that is officially supported for CM. It's the same thingie that let you call from Outlook, does a popup when a call comes in, etc.

I've downloaded and installed "call Connector" but seems working only with CME...i try again with different versions on Cisco Website.

Thank you.

That is not Unified Call Connector.  It is "Click to Call" which is a great application by itself however it does not provide in-call session control (hold, transfer, conference, etc.).  I was under the impression the OP wanted more remote control of phone in-call features.  Maybe not.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

The OP could try looking at Phone Remote from VoIP Integration.

http://www.voipintegration.com/Software-Phone-Remote.aspx

It is really a troubleshooting tool but does allow you to remote control a phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: