cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will EoMPLS carry STP BPDU's over SP Core?

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a query. With Ethernet over MPLS (either port or vlan mode) connecting two different locations, is it possible to have STP BPDU's carrying over the SP core. Any recent enhancements in the IOS allow it.

Our design requires two datacenters to be connected over EoMPLS and run STP over the SP. I heard in EoMPS, SP will not learn and store any MAC from customers but would eager to know if such options exist now.

We could not do VPLS (which does our requirement) because of hardware limitation.

thanks in advance.

regards,

Arun Kumar

15 Replies 15

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arun,

MAC address learning is disabled but EoMPLS should be blind enough to carry STP BPDUs on the other side of the pipe

I remember that during testing some years ago, even frames with MAC DA = MAC address of router port were propagated over the pseudowire!

Hope to help

Giuseppe

the answer is yes.

I have occomplished with the following way. The configuration is called BPDU relay.

the interface the switch is plugged up to on my mpls 7609 router.

description BPDU_Relay_Cisco_Switch

mtu 1596
no ip address
mls qos trust dscp
mpls ip
service instance 1 ethernet
  description BPDU_Relay
  encapsulation dot1q 1
  l2protocol forward
  bridge-domain 1

there is also a vpls instance for vlan1

l2 vfi bpdu-pw manual
  vpn id 1
  forward permit l2protocol all
  neighbor 1.1.1.2 encapsulation mpls

Regards
Jude Bryant
Pioneer Telephone

Hello Jude,

original poster said he has to use point to point EoMPLS

however, your post confirms that even in VPLS can be possible to perform this task

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I understand.  The only issues I had was spanning tree would be a loop type environment for protection.  ie;

so maybe I didnt understand the topology.  Can he create drawing or something.

and yes it does work.  Im using it today.

Regards

Jude

Hello Jude,

I've found your config template interesting and I've rated it.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Arun,

which platform are you using. As already explained, you can do it on 7600. Have it done for a CS of ours..

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/pfc3mpls.html#wp1415675

Francisco

Hi Francisco & Guiseppe,

Thank you both for your valuable responses and it is of great help to me. I am using 7206 router.

Thanks Guiseppe

Arun,

I'm facing the same problem as you. How did you fix it? Here is my topology.

_________              __________              _________              __________
|___CE1___|=====|___PE1___|=====|___PE2___|=====|___CE2___|

VLAN 100                                                                                         VLAN 100

Between the PEs, we're running MPLS.

Between the PE and the CE, it's Layer 2, running MST.

For example, we have VLAN 100 in both CEs and we want them to act as a one broadcast domain, how could be the configuration? We want to transport STP BPDU over the MPLS and use SVI in both PEs acting as gateways of VLAN 100.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Gustavo Mastroianni

Hi Guys

Many times I had faced this question but still not Satisfy with any answer.

But Cisco Says :

As per my understanding Router or Switch will forward the BPDU if they are having advance BRAIN i.e Supervisor Engine .

So if you are using Router without Supervisor Engine ( 7200  or other )then it will not forward STP BPDU over EoMPLS but if you have 7600 Series router with specific hardware the it will support STP BPDU over MPLS.

EoMPLS Guidelines and Restrictions

The following restrictions apply to using trunks with EoMPLS:

To support Ethernet spanning tree bridge protocol data units (BPDUs) across an EoMPLS cloud, you must disable the supervisor engine spanning tree for the Ethernet-over-MPLS VLAN. This ensures that the EoMPLS VLANs are carried only on the trunk to the customer router. Otherwise, the BPDUs are directed to the supervisor engine and not to the EoMPLS cloud.

– The native VLAN of a trunk must not be configured as an EoMPLS VLAN.

• In PFC3BXL or PFC3B mode, all protocols (for example, CDP, VTP, BPDUs) are tunneled across the MPLS cloud without conditions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SXF/configuration/guide/pfc3mpls.html#wp1109041

Regards

Chetan Kumar

Chetan,

I do have two Cisco 7600 with a specific routing and switching cards.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the configuration on these routers, on the topology that I "drew" just above.

I'd appreciate if I get this answer.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gustavo Mastroianni

Gustavo,

Look at my configuration above.  All you have todo is allow the native vlan to traverse your mpls link.  In otherwords create service instance for vlan(native vlan).  In my configuration the native vlan is 1.

Bridge Protocol Data Unit (BPDU) s are sent untagged using the native vlan.

so in your case

_________              __________              _________              __________
|___CE1___|=====|___PE1___|=====|___PE2___|=====|___CE2___|

VLAN 100                                                                                         VLAN 100

ce1

interface gig0/1

encapsulation dot1q 100

pe1

interface gig0/1

encapsulation dot1q 1

l2protocol forward

bridge-domain 1 or xconnect ip-address vc-id encapsulation mpls

service instane 100 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 100

bridge-domain 100 or xconnect ip-address vc-id encapsulation mpls

and the same for the other two

Regards

Jude Bryant

Network Engineer

Pioneer Telephone

Jude,

Thanks for you help!

And if I want to transport BPDUs from more VLANs, for example, 200 VLANs?! How the configuration would be?

We use X-Connect or VFIs to communicate between the distribution (PEs) nodes.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Gustavo Mastroianni

Gustavo,

The following configuration will carry BPDUs for all VLans

interface gig0/1

encapsulation dot1q 1

l2protocol forward

bridge-domain 1 or xconnect ip-address vc-id encapsulation mpls

dont forget to add the line

"forward permit l2protocol all "

in your l2 vfi configuration

Regards

Jude Bryant

Pioneer Telephone

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: