cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS and wireless

after1111
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network which contains wired and wireless users.

Im looking for a nework management tool that can fufill the following criterias:

1. Fault management - proactively identify faults and send sms alert.

2. Configuration manmagement - update and backup configurations.

3. Accounting management - manage wired and wireless user access authentication

4. Performance management: monitor critical uplinks and send alert when threshold breaches.

5. Security management:intrusion prevention

I know that LMS meets criteria 1, 2 and 4 for wired networks, but can LMS manage wireless access points and wireless users?

I believe the current LMS doesn't support wireless APs and wireless users, is that correct?

I have a WLC to manage all the APs and all my APs are LWAPP enabled, do I need WLSE application?

Are there any products to address accounting (apart from ACS) and security management criterias?

This is my shopping list:

CW LMS 3.x:

Device fault Manager
Campus Mnager
RME
IPM

What else do I need?

I'm also looking at Orion network management suit, any one using Orion before? Its look less compicate, more user friendly and more mature than Ciscoworks (I've setup CW from scratch before)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

All reply will get rated.

Cheers,
1 Reply 1

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think LMS 3.x fulfills Req. #4, based on your current shopping list. You'll need to purchase the license for the eval HUM add-on to LMS 3.x in order to get that capability.

WLSE is the WLC counterpart for managing autonomous APs, so there's no need for it. There's another Cisco product called WCS that manages multiple WLCs, and has Cisco® Adaptive Wireless IPS (wIPS) integrated. So that might be the ticket for Req. #5, at least on the wireless front.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: