Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP Implement with 3No.s Core Switch

sdasgupta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having 4 no.s 3750 as Distribution switching connecting as per standard Cisco Layer Architechture to Core1 & Core2, HSRP is running over there. Both Core Switch are 4506. Now we want a DR site for my DC outside ( within 10KM), and it will simply extending my LAN through Ethernet Over Fiber Channel. I want othe FO connectivity from all Distribution switch to a 3rd Core ( Core_3) switch 4506.

Please let me know if it is possible to have 3 switch pointing towards single gateway ( standby ) IP, as normal we do the with 2nos. Core switch. I'm not sure it can be done with 3no.s of switch also.

If Core_1 & Core_2 both will go down then Core_3 will come in the picture...is it also require any link to be conneced from Core_1 & Core_2 to Core_3 ?

Please look into the PPT....you can understand my existing setup...

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sdasgupta@hcl.in

Hi All,

I'm having 4 no.s 3750 as Distribution switching connecting as per standard Cisco Layer Architechture to Core1 & Core2, HSRP is running over there. Both Core Switch are 4506. Now we want a DR site for my DC outside ( within 10KM), and it will simply extending my LAN through Ethernet Over Fiber Channel. I want othe FO connectivity from all Distribution switch to a 3rd Core ( Core_3) switch 4506.

Please let me know if it is possible to have 3 switch pointing towards single gateway ( standby ) IP, as normal we do the with 2nos. Core switch. I'm not sure it can be done with 3no.s of switch also.

If Core_1 & Core_2 both will go down then Core_3 will come in the picture...is it also require any link to be conneced from Core_1 & Core_2 to Core_3 ?

Please look into the PPT....you can understand my existing setup...

HSRP is not limited to 2 switches. So yes you can run HSRP between 3 switches if that is what you want to do. As long as there is L2 adjacency between all the core switches you will be fine.

Jon

Hi,

Please send me a sample HSRP config for a single VLAN for Core_1, 2 & 3

sdasgupta@hcl.in

Hi,

Please send me a sample HSRP config for a single VLAN for Core_1, 2 & 3

core 1

=====

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.2 255.255.255.0

standby 10 ip 192.168.5.1

standby 10 authentication

standby 10 preempt

standby 10 priority 110

core 2

=====

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.3 255.255.255.0

standby 10 priority 100

core 3

=====

int vlan 10

ip address 192.168.5.4 255.255.255.0

standby 10 priority 90

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please rate all helpful posts.

Hi Jon,

Please confirm me if I need to make a physical connection to Core_3 from Core_2, as in generally we do a direct connection ( may be a etherchannel ) in between Core_1 & Core_2.

Or I have to make a tringle connection in between Core_1, Core_2 & Core_3.

sdasgupta@hcl.in

Hi Jon,

Please confirm me if I need to make a physical connection to Core_3 from Core_2, as in generally we do a direct connection ( may be a etherchannel ) in between Core_1 & Core_2.

Or I have to make a tringle connection in between Core_1, Core_2 & Core_3.

Each switch needs to be L2 adjacent to the other switches so

core1 -> L2 -> core2 -> L2 -> core 3  would be fine.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: