Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity server with auto attendant

mrmhar1408
Level 4
Level 4

Hi everybody,

I have a unity server 5.0, the license for the users are 100 users only who can have a voice mail box, but the employees in the company more than 100 users.

the question is:

Can I configure an auto attendant on the unity and more than 100 users can recieve tha call throug the greeting message or only the 100 users can recieve the message?

if yes can i add more than 100 users to the unity without voice mail box but only to recieve the call through the auto attendant on the unity

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is possible.  This gets into version dependancies some, so I will speak to Unity since that is the term we have used throughout this thread.  You can create what is called an "Internet Subscriber" on the Unity System.  You can assign an extension, name, etc.  It does not eat up a license and can be used in the Call Handler extension dialing and also in Directory Handler name lookups.  It is basically a user without a mailbox or, more accurately, a contact.

Another option is available in unity 4.0(4) and later.  You can use the "System Transfer" conversation, which will allow a caller to just enter digits.  After a timeout period (seconds) the Unity system will assume the caller is done entering digits and transfer the caller.  This could be somewhat unpredictable since the user can enter any digits they choose.  You will want to make sure that the Restriction tables on your Unity system and the call restrictions applied in your CUCM system (via partitions and CSS config) ensure that someone can't use your Unity system as a toll-fraud haven.

Here is more information on the System Transfer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag140e.html#wpmkr1061769

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Call Handlers are not licensed so you could add them freely; however, be concious of the system ports you are licensed for. It is not common for Unity to become an IVR front-end for large volumes of calls.

I'm hoping you are attempting to use a directory handler here for a dial-by-name concept. I'm not sure what a greeting which just redirects to the users' DN accomplishes.

Is that mean I can have more than 100 users on the unity to redirect the calls to them throug call handler ?

Call Handlers have nothing to do with subscriber licensing. They are just IVR prompts and menus.

you got my point ?

I suppose it depends on what your expectations are when you say can I have a call handler redirect calls to over 100 people.  I assume we aren't talking about redirect calls to over 100 people at the same time.  With a call handler, you can transfer a caller to an extension/user on your system in one of two ways:

1. Using the IVR and a single digit command.  Example: "Please press 1 for Jonathan, press 2 for Bill..."

- You can't have a "press 100 for Hailey" option if that is what you are getting at

- You could still have an IVR tree that would achieve this 100 user transfer thing, but it would require a hierarchy/tree of call handlers.  Example:  "Press 1 for Engineering"  which would launch a new call handler:  "Press 1 for Biological engineering" which would be yet another call handler.  Then you may have "Please press 1 for Jonathan".

- As you can see using a IVR, single-digit style transfer for 100 users is slightly inefficient

2. Dial by extension.   Example:  "Please enter the extension of the person you would like to reach."

- Call Handlers (by default) will accept multiple digit entry from a caller (e.g. 4000).  If the digits entered by the caller match the primary extension or any alternate extension of a Unity user then the system will transfer the caller to that extension (or mailbox greeting - your choice)

- This involves no heavy lifting on your part, works well, and is not resource intensive.  The only drawback is that people may not know the user's extension

So, #2 is the best option.  Even better is to use a Directory Handler in additio to the Call Handler.  Example:  "Please enter the extension of the person you are trying to reach or press 4 to search for a person by name".  User presses 4 then you may have a greeting like "Using your keypad, spell out the name of the person you are trying to reach starting with the last name"  (or first name, your choice).  If you have Unity Connection then you can speech enable the Directory Handler so that the call can just speak the name.  Unity has a similar option, but it doesn't run natively on box.  Anyway, the point is that you could have a Call Handler that allows people to enter the extension if they know it (i.e. #2 option above) AND you can have an IVR option to allow the caller to access a Directory Handler.  The Directory Handler can then be used to search for a person by name.  Very efficient method and most of us are familiar with the concept (as callers).

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

I appreciate very much your reply; but I have one question regarding # 2:

Is that means that the call handler will redirect the call to the subscribers only or it can forwarded to the call manager. Because most of the users don't have a voice mail so they are not added to the unity as a subscriber. Can they receive calls from the call handler??

That is possible.  This gets into version dependancies some, so I will speak to Unity since that is the term we have used throughout this thread.  You can create what is called an "Internet Subscriber" on the Unity System.  You can assign an extension, name, etc.  It does not eat up a license and can be used in the Call Handler extension dialing and also in Directory Handler name lookups.  It is basically a user without a mailbox or, more accurately, a contact.

Another option is available in unity 4.0(4) and later.  You can use the "System Transfer" conversation, which will allow a caller to just enter digits.  After a timeout period (seconds) the Unity system will assume the caller is done entering digits and transfer the caller.  This could be somewhat unpredictable since the user can enter any digits they choose.  You will want to make sure that the Restriction tables on your Unity system and the call restrictions applied in your CUCM system (via partitions and CSS config) ensure that someone can't use your Unity system as a toll-fraud haven.

Here is more information on the System Transfer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag140e.html#wpmkr1061769

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Thank you very much I will try the solution (internet subscribers) then I will feedback to you

Thanks the internet subscribers solved the problem, I hope to accept my friendship

good Mr Mohammed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: