Call Manager and Unified Communication manager

Answered Question
May 12th, 2010

Hello everyone,

I am new here and from France.

I am a real beginning in CISCO. I am studying networking.... and studying a bit cisco at my training center.

A trainer told us to install Call Manager. Well I am finding lots of things on the net about it and as well on Unified communication manager.

I a really confused right now about it. The trainer did not give us any documentations, neither directions.

Basically, I am trying to find out what need to be done to get a working installation. Do I need a server like 2003 or 2008 and what do I need to install on it ? You see I don't really know what I should ask for.

Do I need Unified COmmunication manager as a main server ?????? and then install Call manager. This is really confusion. I.E I did install before ASTERISK and I configured the different conf files.... and everything was fine.

How does this work for CISCO and with Call Manager. What is the use of Call manager and Unified communication manager really ?

Thanks a lot.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Jonathan Schulenberg about 6 years 7 months ago

They are the same product. CallManager (CCM) was renamed to Unified Communications Manager (UCM) starting around 4.3 and 5.0.

My initial reaction here is that you have a poor trainer. UCM is a massive product with thousands of pages of documentation and easily a dozen books covering it. Throwing this at someone without significant guidance would be totally overwhelming!

Basically, I am trying to find out what need to be done to get a working
 installation. Do I need a server like 2003 or 2008 and what do I need 
to install on it ? You see I don't really know what I should ask for.

Starting in version 5.0 Cisco packaged UCM as a sealed appliance. The OS became RedHat Enterprise Server but is not accessible to you as an administrator so no Linux knowledge is required. You cannot download installable versions of the product from Cisco.com, it must be ordered from Cisco. You would need to ask for the install media as well as an appropriate server. Cisco has specific server requirements; however, you can get it to install on a VMware ESX host for lab purposes. http://cisco.com/go/swonly would provide you with the server specifications if you do not have the Cisco MCS server.

Do I need Unified COmmunication manager as a main server ?????? and then
 install Call manager.

It's all one DVD-based install and will install the OS and application. Note that if you have an MCS7828 equivelant server specifications, you can install the Business Edition of the product which also includes the Unity Connection voicemail product in a single installation. This is great for lab/training use which is why I mention it.

What is the use of Call manager and Unified communication manager really ?

UCM is the call agent. The analogy I use with customers is that UCM is to VoIP as Air Traffic Control is to airplanes. ATC doesn't fly the plane, it just gives instructions. Similarly, UCM doesn't [usually] handle the call audio, it just tells the end points what to do and how to talk to one another. This is markedly different than TDM-based PBX systems where the call agent was a proxy that all phones sent their audio through. All other products such as voicemail (Unity Connections, IVR/ACD (Contact Center Express), conferencing, paging and dozens of others all integrate with UCM as the central call agent.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
Jonathan Schulenberg Wed, 05/12/2010 - 03:38

They are the same product. CallManager (CCM) was renamed to Unified Communications Manager (UCM) starting around 4.3 and 5.0.

My initial reaction here is that you have a poor trainer. UCM is a massive product with thousands of pages of documentation and easily a dozen books covering it. Throwing this at someone without significant guidance would be totally overwhelming!

Basically, I am trying to find out what need to be done to get a working
 installation. Do I need a server like 2003 or 2008 and what do I need 
to install on it ? You see I don't really know what I should ask for.

Starting in version 5.0 Cisco packaged UCM as a sealed appliance. The OS became RedHat Enterprise Server but is not accessible to you as an administrator so no Linux knowledge is required. You cannot download installable versions of the product from Cisco.com, it must be ordered from Cisco. You would need to ask for the install media as well as an appropriate server. Cisco has specific server requirements; however, you can get it to install on a VMware ESX host for lab purposes. http://cisco.com/go/swonly would provide you with the server specifications if you do not have the Cisco MCS server.

Do I need Unified COmmunication manager as a main server ?????? and then
 install Call manager.

It's all one DVD-based install and will install the OS and application. Note that if you have an MCS7828 equivelant server specifications, you can install the Business Edition of the product which also includes the Unity Connection voicemail product in a single installation. This is great for lab/training use which is why I mention it.

What is the use of Call manager and Unified communication manager really ?

UCM is the call agent. The analogy I use with customers is that UCM is to VoIP as Air Traffic Control is to airplanes. ATC doesn't fly the plane, it just gives instructions. Similarly, UCM doesn't [usually] handle the call audio, it just tells the end points what to do and how to talk to one another. This is markedly different than TDM-based PBX systems where the call agent was a proxy that all phones sent their audio through. All other products such as voicemail (Unity Connections, IVR/ACD (Contact Center Express), conferencing, paging and dozens of others all integrate with UCM as the central call agent.

emanjamin2002 Wed, 05/12/2010 - 18:33

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes I agree with you and I am going to raise hell in the I.T training center. We (students) knew that it was crazy. I don't know what their purpose is there at this moment with us. Anyway I will take care of it.

Well, thanks a lot for all of the explaination about it. It is really helpful and really appreciated.

Manu

emanjamin2002 Mon, 05/17/2010 - 01:43

Hello again,

Again thanks a lot for your answer. I saw the person responsible for our training here in France. In fact, the trainer did not communicate correctly what was needed. The people here want us to do some research on different application and Unified Communication manager is one of them they want us to study.

Basically, they want us to propose some solution and then based on our reports, they will buy equipments, software.... to install it in the schools, university....

I read some of the links on Cisco but still not fully clear on the subjet as you meantioned to take a lot to learn about it.

Do you have a link or can you refer me to something which will be as simple as possible to do a report on the subject (like a PDF or something showing the installation, what can be done with it.....). Thanks a lot.

Manu

Cisco beginner

rob.huffman Wed, 05/12/2010 - 07:06

Hey Jonathan,

Nice respone here my friend! +5 for trying to sort this out

Cheers!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion