NSS6000 - Got started setting up new unit and have questions with SMTP alerts / Encryption

Unanswered Question
May 12th, 2010

I have just bought myself an NSS6000 and got it all setup yesterday.   Upgraded from 1.14 to latest 1.16 version as well.  Its all going  nicely with 1TB Raid 1 setup, but have a few tweaks I need help with and  can not find any documentation on it:

1)_ Email  Alerts:  Allows only for SMTP server Name/IP, but no where can I setup  the User authentication or port.  How come??

2)_ FAN noise:   The power supply fan is very noise on idle.  Even swapped it with one of  the bay fans, but still... this seems to be the way the system  throttles  it to keep the RPMs in range.  Anyway this could be setup to be  quieter?

3)_ Encryption:  Once I have created an  unencrypted volume can I "edit" it to be encrypted?  Cant seem to be  able to.  Also, if I encrypt the drives; and the NSS fails, can I put  these onto a PC/Server and read the drives with some sort of decrypting  software?  Or would I require to have another NSS made available to  access the drive's data?

3b)_ How about being able to  access an encrypted backup created by the NSS onto an external USB  storage device? (from a Windows/Linux based machine, of course).

Thank  you in advance!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Manuel-NZ Wed, 05/12/2010 - 06:38

Just want to add one other thing.

4)_ "Wished Feature": an on board file manager within the Web Browser GUI would be FANTASTIC, as moving files from one spot to another over the network can take for ever with large amounts of data.

Any of these features available on a "tweaked" firmware?

Thanks again.

This Discussion

Related Content