cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missing command prompt character

jbartoldus
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone ever encountered a missing character in a device command  prompt?  I have a 2821 router that will not display the "#" character or  the ">" when I ssh to it.  The hostname is correct, but the prompt  character after the hostname will not display.  If I go into config  mode, the "#" shows up after the (config), but in regular mode or enable mode, no prompt  charater after the hostname.  Has anyone ever encountered this?

I  have 300 other 2821 routers and 3560 switches and this is the only  device that this happen to.  I use secureCRT for all my ssh connections,  and I don't think it is the terminal setup because I see it with putty  and teraterm, too.  I have reloaded the router hoping it would fix it....no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

In an IOS device, if you issue the command ''prompt xxxx''

You will get the xxxx string as the prompt instead of getting the # symbol.

To revert it use the no form of the command in configuration mode.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi,

In an IOS device, if you issue the command ''prompt xxxx''

You will get the xxxx string as the prompt instead of getting the # symbol.

To revert it use the no form of the command in configuration mode.

Hope it helps.

Federico.

Thanks... that was it.  I have never used the prompt command and someone must have added it to the config at some point

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card