cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Call Manager Upgrade from 6.1.2-1000-13 to 7.1(2)

neilobrien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

My company are looking to upgrade to Call Manager 7.1(2) and we have the necessary licenses and checked the hardware compatibility etc.  I'm just wondering do we simply upgrade to 7.1(2) or do we upgrade to the latest version of 7.1(2), for instance if there were SU version updates etc.

I have the same query around Unity Connection as well, it has 7.1(2), 7.1(2a) and 7.1(2b) - do you just go for the latest version of 7.1(2)??

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me int he right direction,

THanks,

Neil

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I rarely go to the base version of a software release.  In doing so, you can apply a patch during the installation to get to the latest patch release.  You just need to check the upgrade requirements to make sure that you can go to that SU or patch release directly.  However, if I may extend further advice - I would recommend you skip 7.1(2) and go to 7.1(3b)SU2 which has proven to be a very stable release thus far.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Very helpful thanks David.  Actually, after I posted, I was speaking to our Cisco SE and he recommended going to the newest release of 7.1 whcih is at 7.1(5) currently.  Good or bad in your opinion??

Does the upgrade allow you to add the patch on the fly??  I presume I can just add the patch once the upgrade is done?

You can do a patch during the install process.  As for 7.1(5) - I wouldn't recommend going there just yet as it's very young.  I would go to 7.1(3b)SU2 first and then give some time for 7.1(5) to be vetted out.  You can always apply it after you upgrade to 7.1(3).  Just be aware that there is a patch that you have to install prior to installing 7.1(5) if you are not running a "secure" cluster...in other words, 7.1(5) is a secure CUCM version.

Hailey

That's a fair point David.  I was just looking at the upgrade matrix though and it seems I can only go as far as 7.1(2b)SU2 from my version 6.1(2).  If this is stable I'm happy to leave it there!

While i have your attention, do you mind if I ask you (I'll ask anyway :-)) about the licensing aspect of an upgrade of this nature.  Does the license upgrade with the version or do I need to apply for a new license.  I know an upgrade license ships with the media - do i use this?  I'm just not sure how to get the appropriate license for the new version?

Thanks for you help,

Neil

So, here's the deal.  You typically need to order the upgrade license via the Product Upgrade Tool (PUT) via Cisco.com.  You'll get a PAK code that you need to register and then you can get an upgrade licensing from licensing@cisco.com.

As for 7.1(2) strains, this is what I'd recommend:

Get to the latest version you can.  Then immediately upgrade to 7.1(3b)SU2.  Trust me, lots of bugs have been worked out throughout the various versions and 7.1(3) has been very stable in my experience with many customers.

Hailey

ok but if I do the upgrade to 7.1(2b)SU2 and then apply the patch, does the patch overwrite the inactive partition?  The reason I'm asking is that the contingency we've proposed is that we can switch back the partitions if something doesn't work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: