cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vs-s720-10g-3c ios upgrade issue

dvanhaaren
Level 1
Level 1

I have one 6509E chassis with 2 s720 sups. I can get the one in slot 5 to upgrade and boot to the new IOS but the second in slot 6 comes back wiht an error. See attach. Both have the same bootdisk lines configured and I can see the IOS in both sup-bootdisk directories. If both sups are in, slot 5 boots and shuts down slot 6. If 5 is plugged in it boots fine. If 6 is plugged in it will not boot to the new image and goes to rommon where it will boot to the old image.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

David

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SUP is pointed to bootdisk:s72033-ipservices_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3 which it on the MSFC, you will have to reconfigure it to boot from sup-bootdisk: on the SUP.

When you are in ROMMON, just do boot sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservices_wan-vz.122-33.SXI3 and it should boot up correctly.

Once it is fully boot up, post the following command for us to assist further:

show redundancy

show run | i boot

show boot

Regards,

jerry

rlotwala
Level 1
Level 1

David,

It appears that the sup in slot 5 is fine.  I had the same issue and what I ended up doing was to boot one sup at a time.  Once both were on same IOS, then I boot with both sup's.  Try booting only with sup in mod 6.

Make sure your config is synced on both sup's.

Sincerely,

Raj

dvanhaaren
Level 1
Level 1

Here's what I have. Sup 5 and 6 have the same boot statements. Sup 6 will boot with the "boot" command from rommon, but it boots to the old code. See attach for more info. It keeps getting wierder, but I think I'm just missing something simple somewhere.

Thanks

David

Try the attachment again. Didn't like the first one.

Okay, I think I see the problem. I need the following info

show file system

dir sup-bootdisk: or dir sup-bootflash:

dir bootflash:

dir disk0:

Can you do that when you insert slot 5 into the chassis only, and then slot 6 into the chassis only.

If you can seperate that into 2 files, it would be great.

Regards,

jerry

Seems we've found the problem. We had one extra letter in the boot statment. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes. It's working now. Thank you all for your interest and help.

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card