cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP , inter vlan routing, IP CEF

smith606306
Level 1
Level 1

We have four core sites on our network which have 2 x Cisco 6509s each. The network is predominantly layer 2 with Vlans spanning all four sites.  The sites are connected by a mixture of 100mb and 1GB Lan extension Services(LES).
We have HSRP c onfigured for the Vlans.
My question is :
the HSRP active router for vlan 20 is at site A and the active router for vlan 70 is at site C .
At site C I have a workstation on Vlan 70 located on one switch and a server at site C located on a different switch. If I send traffic between the 2 devices will it travel up to site A to Vlan 20s default gateway to swap Vlans and then back down the link again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

smith606306 wrote:

We have four core sites on our network which have 2 x Cisco 6509s each. The network is predominantly layer 2 with Vlans spanning all four sites.  The sites are connected by a mixture of 100mb and 1GB Lan extension Services(LES).
My question is :
the HSRP active router for vlan 20 is at site A and the active router for vlan 70 is at site C .
At site C I have a workstation on Vlan 70 located on one switch and a server at site C located on a different switch. If I send traffic between the 2 devices will it travel up to site A to Vlan 20s default gateway to swap Vlans and then back down the link again.

Andrew

Is the server in vlan 20 ?

If so the client in vlan 70 will send the traffic to it's default-gateway which is at site C. The packet will then be routed onto vlan 20 by the switch at site C and sent to the server in site C. So the traffic does not need to go to site A.

However return traffic will because the server in site C has it's default-gateway in site A so the traffic will go to main switch in site C be switched across the link to site A vlan 20 SVI, be routed onto vlan 70 by site A switch and then sent back across the link to the client in vlan 70.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

smith606306 wrote:

My question is :

Andrew

Is the server in vlan 20 ?

If so the client in vlan 70 will send the traffic to it's default-gateway which is at site C. The packet will then be routed onto vlan 20 by the switch at site C and sent to the server in site C. So the traffic does not need to go to site A.

However return traffic will because the server in site C has it's default-gateway in site A so the traffic will go to main switch in site C be switched across the link to site A vlan 20 SVI, be routed onto vlan 70 by site A switch and then sent back across the link to the client in vlan 70.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: