cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need AnyCon Design Advice - Groups or URLS?

jickfoo
Level 1
Level 1

So, I have 2 different companies they will use AnyConnect on the same box. Then in these 2 companies, I have some users that need to use RSA Tokens. So essentially I have 4 groups of users.

I have no problem with having all 4 groups use the same URL.

Does it make better sense to use Groups and the same URL or the 2 URLS with different paths ?

Can I predeploy a client with a GROUP already selected ?

Thanks,

Justin

1 Reply 1

Jeffrey Schutt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jickfoo,

With separate authentication methods needed for each user-group for two separate companies, I'm assuming that you'll need to have four separate tunnel-groups configured to authenticate against the total of four separate aaa servers.  There are many ways to set this up including one login page and four  drop-down selections (group-alias), four separate login pages  (group-url), and anything in between.  Because you have two separate companies connecting you'll probably want to use separate group-urls.  This will allow you the functionality to customize a separate login portal for each company.  You can then apply the login portal customization to both tunnel-groups associated with that company.

From there you have the option to...

1) use separate group-urls on each tunnel-group (one for each authentication method) such that all users from that company see a similarly customized login screen and no users have to select a group from a drop-down, or

2) enable group-alias on both of these tunnel-groups such that all users from the same company land on the same login portal and then users pick the appropriate drop-down for their authentication method

Here's the configuration example for  group-alias and group-urls:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00808bd83d.shtml

Whichever method you choose, it is upon landing on a tunnel-group and then being placed on an associated group-policy that your users will inherit the access permissions to reach internal network resources.  The group-policy is also where you'll apply a specific AnyConnect Profile to be pushed to the AnyConnect Client.  You can use the functionality of the AnyConnect  Profile to lock users to specific tunnel-groups when they reconnect. By applying a different AnyConnect Profile to each group-policy (different tags) you can ensure that each set of AnyConnect users lands on the correct tunnel-group .

For more on the funcitonality see:

http://www.ciscosystems.ch/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect24/administration/guide/ac03features.html#wp1060747

To enable an AnyConnect Profile to be pushed down from the ASA see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/svc.html#wp1099076

Note that if you choose to package AnyConnect in your own installer file you can insert your own AnyConnect Profile with the appropriate tag configured in order to place the user on a specific tunnel-group.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: