cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove speed command from line

jbartoldus
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulty removing the speed command from the line con 0 section of my config.  It is currently set for "speed 9600" and when I issue a "no speed 9600" command, I get an error that says "Failed to change line 0's speed"

Anyone know how to remove the speed from this line?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to change it

take a look:

Switch-C(config-line)#speed  19200
Switch-C(config-line)#speed  9600

Switch-C(config-line)#speed  38400
Switch-C(config-line)#

Also to verify it

Switch-C(config-line)#do sh lin con 0
   Tty Typ     Tx/Rx    A Modem  Roty AccO AccI   Uses   Noise  Overruns   Int
     0 CTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -

Line 0, Location: "", Type: ""
Length: 24 lines, Width: 80 columns
Baud rate (TX/RX) is 38400/38400, no parity, 2 stopbits, 8 databits

HTH

Reza

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

am having difficulty removing the speed command from the line con 0 section of my config.  It is currently set for "speed 9600" and when I issue a "no speed 9600" command, I get an error that says "Failed to change line 0's speed"

Anyone know how to remove the speed from this line?

Hi,

Check out the below link for usage of the command

http://www.cisco.rw/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA1_7_/command/reference/console.html#wp1033531

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Reza and Ganesh have both provided answers that deal with how to change the speed of the console line. But when I read the original post carefully I see that this is not what the original poster was asking. He is not attempting to change the speed but is attempting to remove the speed 9600. But when you remove the speed command from the console port it reverts to the default value - which is 9600.

I have not tested it myself, but I wonder if you use the command default speed, under line console 0, if it would remove the speed 9600.

And if it does not work, then my question to the original poster is why he needs to remove speed 9600 from the config?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I was able to test this.  I am not able to assign default speed to the con 0.

Switch-C(config-line)#default speed
Failed to change line 0's speed
Switch-C(config-line)#

Switch-C(config-line)#default speed 14400
Failed to change line 0's speed

Switch-C(config-line)#

Switch-C(config-line)#do sh lin con 0
   Tty Typ     Tx/Rx    A Modem  Roty AccO AccI   Uses   Noise  Overruns   Int
     0 CTY              -    -      -    -    -      0       0     0/0       -

Line 0, Location: "", Type: ""
Length: 24 lines, Width: 80 columns
Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600, no parity, 2 stopbits, 8 databits

Thanks,

Reza

Reza

Thanks for testing this and letting us know the result. I had not been sure whether it would work and it is good to know the results from testing.

The original post asked about removing a command from the config of line console 0 which seems to have the command speed 9600. My logic was that since default values normally do not show up in running config, that perhaps specifying the default value for the console speed might result in removing the specific command speed 9600.

Since 9600 is the default value, and since it appears that we can not remove it, then I would ask the original poster why he is attempting to remove this from the config? I can not see how it would impact anything since it is just specifying the default value.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ramkulov.a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Usually default settings are not appearing in configuration

If you setup as:

Switch(conf)#line con 0

Switch(conf-t)#speed 9600

Where 9600 is default speed, as result the setting will not be reflected any more in you Running or Startup config.

I have just tested that on Cisco 2960.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco