Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Routes and P2P Static Routes

stonnet72
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning guys,

I have a question. I have a client that has numerous offices (branch) and a HQ site that points to 2 COLOs for redundancy purposes. It seems at all these remote sites there are OSPF routes (tons of them) to adjascent neighbors, etc. There are static routes colos or to other remote offices. There are also GRE tunnels connecting several offices together. In essence, to me this is a mess.

What would you recommend to use to eliminate all these messy OSPF routes on all these routers? What protocol or technology would you use to connect 18 offices more effeciently? MPLS? EIGRP?

Whats your recommendation/

Thanks for your help guys.

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi stonnet

I just sent this long response to one of the other post, hope this might be of some help to you.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2017117?tstart=0

regds

so in essence you are saying that if MPLS is implemented then OSPF routes are no longer

necessary because all the routing and swtiching is handled by the provider right. I mean I get the concept of

MPLS, but just want to make sure the I can eliminate the OSPF routes from routers without dropping connections to

branch offices.

Hello,

If you are tunneling using GRE and there is alot of mess then DMVPN is to the rescue. I have faced a similar situation and DMVPN really helped. But if you dont need GRE and IPSEC then MPLS VPNs are best.

Thanks

Zeeshan Sanaullah

So if MPLS = yes, then OSPF and Static routes can be

eliminated right?

In MPLS, you would be peering to SP and also suppose to run dynamic protocol to exchange routes for your VRF in MPLS, what you can do is connect all the remote offices to MPLS and advertise their local networks into MPLS and from head office you can originate the default route that would be installed in every remote offices routing table using dynamic protocol.

So at Remote offices : you only have single default route leading towards HQ

and at head Quarter : you will have all prefixes from Remote offices.

Sounds good to me ... see if it helps you

Regards

Hitesh Vinzoda

Note: please rate helpful posts.

Hitesh,

That makes sense. One last question, can you provide a sampe of how the config would loook like at the HQ or in my case two COLO sites.

I do understand the the RB's (remote branches) need to have a default route to the SP's MPLS network. I imagine this will hold true for both data and voice right?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card