Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Question

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

HI,

Im looking into upgrading to 6509-E platform and going with  VSS and have a couple of questions:

A. From what I can see,  having dual supervisors in a chassis is not supported in VSS yet  correct. Any known plans to support this?

B. Dual homed vs non-dual homed- I was reading Cisco's  docs and they strongly urge dual-homing devices if possible and linking  via MEC. Not all devices have this capability. If switch-A is active and I plug a single homed host into Switch-B, will it work?
C. I  got confused regarding provisioning in VSS. Can someone summarize it for me? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rtjensen4 wrote:

HI,

Im looking into upgrading to 6509-E platform and going with  VSS and have a couple of questions:

A. From what I can see,  having dual supervisors in a chassis is not supported in VSS yet  correct. Any known plans to support this?

B. Dual homed vs non-dual homed- I was reading Cisco's  docs and they strongly urge dual-homing devices if possible and linking  via MEC. Not all devices have this capability. If switch-A is active and I plug a single homed host into Switch-B, will it work?
C. I  got confused regarding provisioning in VSS. Can someone summarize it for me? Thanks!

A. As others have said no at the moment but scheduled this year for dual sup support

B. Both switches in a VSS setup actively forward traffic so if you connected a device to only the standby switch yes it would still work.

C. Not sure what you mean. Could you give some context ?

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

According to Cisco, SXI4 image (due to be released in June) will support dual sup in one chassis in VSS.

you should dual home if possible.  Cross chssis etherchannel in supported in modulard device ie 6500, 4000 and in small switches only 3750 (when they are stacked)

HTH

Reza

vilaxmi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

Yes that is correct, CIsco currently does not support redundant SUP in a single Chassis within a VSS.

Please feel free to check out :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1057173

HTH

Vijaya

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

rtjensen4 wrote:

HI,

A. As others have said no at the moment but scheduled this year for dual sup support

B. Both switches in a VSS setup actively forward traffic so if you connected a device to only the standby switch yes it would still work.

C. Not sure what you mean. Could you give some context ?

Jon

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I've gotten enough information.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card