cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Port Flap

nycha
Level 1
Level 1

We are having an issue of network interface flaps which is causing a port flap in our network. Our goal is to have a tcl script that will be able to run whenever we have 10 flaps within 10 secs, the script should be able to shutdown the port that is flapping and then re-enable it after the flap stops . below is a tcl script we have so far and will need advice or if anyone has a sample tcl script that can help us achieve this task

a1#ifchange
Syntax: tclsh ifchange.tcl interface flap
a1#ifchange loop0 off
Interface loop0 changed state to off
a1#
%LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Loopback0, changed state to administratively down
%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Loopback...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You want to shutdown a flapping port, then re-enable it when the flapping stops?  If the port is shutdown, how will you know when the flapping stops?

View solution in original post

Sure, that's doable with EEM.  I could provide you an example script if you want.  I just needed to know how you wanted to determine a port was no longer flapping.  Everything else is completely doable based on your initial description.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You want to shutdown a flapping port, then re-enable it when the flapping stops?  If the port is shutdown, how will you know when the flapping stops?

That is one of the challenges that I am facing . Since we cannot tell when the network flaping has stop if the port is shutdown. I was thinking of  using a delay mechanism of say 2 mins after which the port should be enabled. We can adjust the delay time as we start testing the script to something more accurate according to the network test baseline that we will get from the test results

Sure, that's doable with EEM.  I could provide you an example script if you want.  I just needed to know how you wanted to determine a port was no longer flapping.  Everything else is completely doable based on your initial description.

I will appreciate if you provide me with a script example.

I also want to know if there is a way we can get a notification from the Cisco router  about the port information and time stamp when the port is shutdown by the script due to network flapping

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: