cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Just upgraded to 8.0.2 on UC520 8 user/

Arthur Kant
Level 1
Level 1

So I have a client who we just upgraded to 8.0.2 .  This is UC520 is just an 8 user license.  However when I do a show ver on the device I see:

14 User Licenses
10 FastEthernet interfaces
2 terminal lines
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
8 Voice FXO interfaces
4 Voice FXS interfaces
1 Voice MoH interface
1 802.11 Radio
1 cisco service engine(s)

14 user licenses?  Does this tell me I can have 14 phones? :)

Kenny

8 Replies 8

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Essentially, yes.  The breakdown of the 14 licenses is as follows:

• 8 licenses for the 8 users that the platform is designed for
  • 4 licenses for the analogue ports on the front of the UC500.  These ports can operate as user phones, in which case they consume licenses, but can be assiciated with users, be part of a shared line, be monitored by other phones etc; or they can be configured as common area phones with basic make/receive call functionality, in which case they do not use licenses.
  • 2 extra licenses to give you a little headroom for growth, for users who have a physical phone and a softphone or teleworker phone, that sort of thing.

We don't market the fact that it is possible to connect 14 phones to an 8 user box, but if you are happy with the constraints of not having features on your analogue ports, then yes, you can do it.

Cheers,

Dave.

So in theory I could delete the FXS ports out of the user config (as we have no need for them) and then register 4 more voip phones??

Yes.

Hi Dave,

does this breakdown of the licenses apply to the latest UC540W?

In general it should work the same, though there may be some subtle differences since the UC540 and UC560 platforms use a slightly different process for handling license upgrades than the UC520 did.  I'll speak to engineering and update the discussion with the answer.

Cheers,

Dave.

Turns out that this detail is in the obvious location - the platform datasheets. ;)

Specifically, checkout table 4 in each of the following:

UC540:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/C78-557768-00_540_platform_reference_guide_DS_v2a.html

UC560:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/vcallcon/ps7293/reference_guide_c07-566560.html

Note that these tables do not explicitly list the four licenses for the FXS ports, but they are also present and affect the total count.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

thnx. so that would mean 14 user licenses, if I would to remove the fxs ports and use them as regular ip phone users.

Yes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: