Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA8000: Display Name attribute seems not to be working

raf.figueroa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In my SPA8000. when I change the "Display Name" (aka: Caller ID name) found under each line configuration (L1, L2, L...etc), when making an outbound call, the Display Name seems not to be working, that is, the "Display Name" I specified (i.e.: 7877992010) is not displayed.  All the instructions I have read so far, indicates that I should be able to change the display name (aka: CID) by using the SPA8000 interface.

I followed the instructions found at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10024/products_qanda_item09186a0080a35d2f.shtml

But nothing seems to work.

My goal is that when making outbound calls via the SPA8000 the CID displayed at the recieving end is consistent with the CID name I defined via the Display Name attribute.

Regards,

Ralph

12 Replies 12

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

I've verified that this is working on my spa8000.  What does the log or trace show?  Does it show the name in those log or trace in the SIP exchange of messages?

Hi nseto,

Just in case I omitted a step, could you please share with me the steps you took to verify that the Display Name function works with your SPA8000.  With your steps I will gladly re-confirm my steps and repro the validation with my SPA8000.

Regarding the log or trace, honestly I was not aware that the SPA8000 produced a trace or log, I poked around the SPA8000 UI in order to locate them but, where would I find the trace and/or log?

Regards!

I had a phone call between my spa8000 and made a call to another phone and the phone displayed the display name information from the spa8000.

You can use wireshark to capture a trace or generate the log file by following the instructions at the following link.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-3028

Hi,

The link you provided was not to wireshark, but to slogsrv.exe.  I do however, have Wireshark installed, but unfortunately, I must be doing someting rather wrong because, while I know my SPA8000 device IP address and I am able to perform calls, Wireshark does not detect any activity, thus the log file comes out empty.

with slogsrv.exe, the instructions are a bit confusing because, it suggest that I should look up the ip address by using ipconfig /all, but the command line arguments does not take the IP address, it uses the Port, which I am assuming is 514.

Do you have link which provides me with wireshark instructions so that I can generate the log files for your review?

regards,

-r

With wireshark, you need to use a hub to capture everything.  Or if you have a switch, you need to enable port forwarding to capture the info, otherwise the switch won't allow you to capture the info to wireshark.

With the slogsrv, you would put the ip address of the pc running slogsrv, into the 'debug server' parameter in the spa8000 so the captured info is sent to the ip address of that pc.

Hi nseto;

With wireshark, you need to use a
hub to capture everything.  Or if you have a switch, you need to enable
port forwarding to capture the info, otherwise the switch won't allow
you to capture the info to wireshark.

I am not 100% clear as to why WS will allow me to select the NIC I would like to capture, and capture nothing, or why would I need a hub, since I would be pointing to my local IP to capture the transactions going through it.  But, unfortunately, in my current environment (remote coloc set up) I don't have visibility to a swith or a hub, so you would not be able to use WS.

My server has Dual NIC the odd thing is that my other NIC card, the one that receives incoming and outgoing HTTP calls (web page) allows me to perform WS captures without any problems. I attached the WS log file for the IP address that handles our HTTP calls, just in case you see anything that relates to SIP traffic (I failed to see anything)

With the slogsrv, you would
put the ip address of the pc running slogsrv, into the 'debug server'
parameter in the spa8000 so the captured info is sent to the ip address
of that pc.

With slogsrv.  Please note that my server has Dual NICs. after placing/swapping either of the systems IP address in the 'debug server' param found in the SPA8000, all I get is the following:

syslog server(port:514) started on Tue May 18 11:45:58 2010
syslog server(port:514) started on Tue May 18 12:19:28 2010

It sounds like I am out of luck with using tracers...

Say, could you please send me the step by step instructions you used to set up the "Display Name" number, I would like to confirm I did not  ommit a step.

Regards,

-r

A switch won't forward the info to wireshark, you would have to enable port forwarding on the switch to do this.

slogsrv will capture whatever is sent to it from the spa unit assuming the spa has the debug server parameter populated with the ip address of the pc.  Also debug level at 3, the sip debug option set to full in the line that is being used in the spa.

I just put a name in the display name parameter and the name showed in the phone that was talking to the spa.

Thank you for the additional settings, I was able to get the log from slogsrv, please see the attachment.  During my test I completed a call using the following Display Name: 7876111020 , however, the Display Name failed to show in the receiving unit, so I am stumped as to why is my SPA8000 not providing the correct Display Name.

Additionally I wanted to ask, with regards to your SPA8000 test, in addition to speciying the display name, Did you modified any other setting such as; Block CID Serv and/or CID Serv? these are found under the SIP line params (ie: L1, L2)

Regards!

I'm just using default settings.

Your log only shows Options.  I don't see the Invite, Ringing, Trying, etc for the call.  Make sure the SIP debug option is set to All for the Line number (1-8) that is used for the phone call.

On the display name, if you are just wanting to show the phone number, you shouldn't even have to populate the display name, by default the other side should show the phone number.  Normally you would use display name if you want to show a name in addition to the phone number.

Hello,

I made sure that I am using the correct line (L1), none the less, I spreaded the L1 configuration through the other a active lines. I added the words "Soccer Team" into the Display Name field, and after placing serveral calls the new Display Name failed to display.  Please see the updated, attached log file.

Regards,

-r

It's your internet telephone service provider that is stripping it out.

Look at the Invite, it shows Soccer Team.  The spa is sending this.  But the Session Progress and Ok from the service provider doesn't show it.  Then the Ack from the spa is showing the Soccer Team again.  You'll need to send the log to your internet telephone service provider and tell them this.

Thank you for the investigation and feedback.  I will pass along your observations to my VOIP provider.  As soon as I get their fix or feedback I will make sure to share the information in this forum and will gladly resolve this entry as an answered issue.

Regards,

Raf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: