cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can the 1500 series APs use the 2.4 GHz for the backhaul link

amr.momtaz
Level 1
Level 1

Can the 1500 series APs use the 2.4 GHz for the backhaul link and also to serve clients ?

I know the performance would be very bad; considering that I would be using one channel for backhaul and user connectivity, and the 2.4 GHz range has more interference that the 5GHz, But this is a design restriction, I can't use the 5GHz in this setup as the location is near a military base and using the 5GHz for outdoor is forbidden!!

If anyone knows if that is even possible, please reply.

Thanks in advance...

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.

Thank you for your answer, have you done a similar setup? tried it in a lab perhaps?

I just want to make sure on the process to do that,

1- I will configure the APs to MAPs and connect to either the default string or a custom one.

2- I will set them to use the 2.4GHz radios for backhaul link

3- I will then disable the 5GHz from the controller or at least disable those radios for the outdoor APs (those are the ones that are forbidden to be running in the 5GHz)

4- Finally, I will dc the ethernet cable of the APs and put them at their final place. power on, and wait for them to become online and register with the controller.

are those the correct configuration order? if so, I have a question regarding point 2.

- I know that MAPs have to use the same channel for backhaul and the power should be set for maximum. do I need to set those manually or when I do the checkbox to use the 2.4GHz, the configuration is done automatically ?

Thanks in advance for your help...

The 1500, as you already know, has two radios.  You can use one for backhaul and another for services.  Make sure you have a Root AP ready.

I know the 1500 have two radios, my question is, can it work with the 2.4 Radio only ?? to be used for backhaul and to serve clients as well.

Mea culpa.  I didn't understand your initial situation.

to be used for backhaul and to serve clients

Unfortunately, no.  It's either a backhaul or as a service and not both.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card