melaniemaillet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There

If I looked at a router I got the log below:

router 878

Access SDSL

IOS c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-6.T5.bin

When a router rebooted we can see that the vi2 and vi3 were not coming up together which means the ppp session is still down during that time, and then without to do anything it came up by itself after more than 1 h00.. Why? I Could be an issue with the radius server? I checked the stinger and stinger has been cleared. It's happening unfortunately to several sites DSL.

*Mar  1 08:23:09.231 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface ATM0, changed state to down
*Mar  1 08:23:53.765 UTC:  DSL 0 controller Link up! line rate: 512 Kbps

*Mar  1 08:23:53.765 UTC: %CONTROLLER-5-UPDOWN: Controller DSL 0, changed state to up
*Mar  1 08:23:59.358 UTC: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface ATM0, changed state to up
*Mar  1 08:24:00.360 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface ATM0, changed state to up
*Mar  1 08:24:08.297 UTC: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Virtual-Access2, changed state to up
*Mar  1 08:24:08.297 UTC: %DIALER-6-BIND: Interface Vi2 bound to profile Di1
*Mar  2 09:55:45.910 UTC: %DIALER-6-BIND: Interface Vi3 bound to profile Di1

*Mar  2 09:55:45.914 UTC: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Virtual-Access3, changed state to up
*Mar  2 09:55:46.908 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Virtual-Access2, changed state to up
*Mar  2 09:55:46.920 UTC: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Virtual-Access3, changed state to up

interface Dialer1
  mtu 1448
ip address ********************** 255.255.255.252
no ip proxy-arp
encapsulation ppp
no ip route-cache cef
no ip route-cache
ip tcp adjust-mss 1400
dialer pool 1
no peer neighbor-route
no peer default ip address
no cdp enable
ppp max-bad-auth 3
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap hostname ***********************
ppp chap password 7 **************************
ppp multilink
ppp multilink fragment disable
ppp multilink mrru remote 1448
end

Ta

Mel

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Melanie,

>> When a router rebooted we can see that the vi2 and vi3 were not coming  up together which means the ppp session is still down during that time,

I would rather say that two PPP sessions came up in different times one for each Virtual-access interface

PPP authentication involves DSL providers Radius servers and may be Radius proxy servers.

Are all branch routers connected to DSL of the same provider ?

Are all affected routers same model, same IOS image ? (searching for common elements)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your help.

Regarding my dsl sites they are all from the same SP, and they are all 87x series routers with same IOS. It did worked well for years, but now I am seeing this bug .

During my tests, vi3 never turned up, what could block the vi3 to come up? Before vi3 got the ppp session with the remote ip address when I was doing a sh users.

Thanks again

mel

Hello Melanie,

check with SP if they have changed or upgraded their DSLAMs recently in their COs

An IOS upgrade carries a firmware upgrade for SDSL module, so this is also a possible path you could try to update IOS on one device and to see if behaviour improves.

There is only one point  that is not clear to me: why there are two virtual-access interfaces it is like you are using two circuits or is this a 4 wire SDSL.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card