ASK THE EXPERTS - SOFTWARE DOWNLOADS

Unanswered Question
May 14th, 2010

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to make effective use of software tools and website features to streamline your software download experience with Cisco expert Oscar Bauer. Oscar is a technical support manager of Software Downloads focusing on all software distribution for technical support. He has 9 years of networking and engineering experience. Previously at Cisco, he has worked in LAN Switching lead for online support creating content and support tools.

Remember to use the rating system to let Oscar know if you have received an adequate response.

Oscar might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 21, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
abidafsarcln Fri, 05/14/2010 - 18:55

I am looking for IOS which work for both switch and router , and want to use it on GNS3 simulator program .

Could you give some suggestion for the specific product or version of IOS which is suitable for this scenario.

Really appreciate your support.

Thanks

rahurao Thu, 05/20/2010 - 06:35

Hey Abid,

The router and the switches cannot have the same IOS. You would have to use different images for both of them.

Also the GNS3 gives you specific paltform and not an IOS for using for the switch and the router both.

Please download the latest code for the specific router or switch as described in the GNS3 from the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/download/index.html

I hope this helps!

Rahul

Oscar Alejandro... Thu, 05/20/2010 - 10:24

Hello,

For the GNS3 simulator you will have to review their product information to determine what it can support.

To download router or switch software you will need to have a valid service contract to access most of the software. To select a release across a router and a switch you can Software Advisor to assist with researching a release. To pick a release you will need to focus on features or the products your trying to simulate. Software Advisor allows you to research software by features and hardware and software compatibility. The research by feature option allows you to select the features your looking for and then select the products to find the supported releases. If you know the router or switch product you can select the different hardware and featuresets to get the minimum and latest releases for those products.

James Hawkins Fri, 05/21/2010 - 06:44

Hi Oscar

I have a question that is related to software downloads but is mainly about licensing so I hope you can assist

Scenario.

Cisco Partner A installs a CUCME system for a customer then disappears.

Customer has problems with the system and engages Cisco partner B to investigate.

Issue is traced to an IOS bug which is solved in a later maintenance version of the IOS.

For example, running version is 12.4(3) and bug is fixed in 12.4(11) and later.

My question - is Cisco Partner B entitled to download upgrade the IOS on the router to fix the issue or will doing so breach the terms of their partnership agreement? If it was a major (12.4 - 15.0) or minor (12.3 -12.4) upgrade then this would obviously be a violation. I need clarification whether the same applies to maintenance releases.

Assume that the customer does not have any SmartNet maintenance and that the 90 day software warranty period has expired.

Thanks

Mohamed Gaber Sat, 07/31/2010 - 00:10

We have a problem for a router with 3G HWIC. When the GSM network is down, the router hang after 40 min.

Is it solved in some IOS release? How to search for a software that solves a spesific problem? Shall I read release notes of all IOS versions?

Leo Laohoo Sun, 08/01/2010 - 17:49

For example, running version is 12.4(3) and bug is fixed in 12.4(11) and later.

In my humble opinion, if the feature set is the same, then download should be fine.  12.4 is the version and (3) or (11) is the train.

This will also test the "partner's" capability to do future business with you.  If I want your business, I'd download it using "partner" privilege.

frqcisco1 Fri, 08/27/2010 - 03:47

Hi!

When downloading any SW or firmware from the Cisco web site, checksums are provided for all binaries.

There is the MD5 checksum and there is the so called "router checksum".

The MD5 checksum is very clear to me on how to verify this - offline or even inside the IOS.

But how to verify the provided "router checksum"? First I'd like to know where this checksum is

used and second of all I'd like to know how I could verify such a checksum offline if possible.

Best regards,

Chris

Oscar Alejandro... Tue, 08/31/2010 - 16:14

Hi Chris,

As you probably already know you can check the MD5 checksum using the verify command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t4/feature/guide/ft_md5v.html

The router checksum is provided after an image is loaded and can be verified using the show flash all command.

There are several MD5 checksum tools that can be used to verify this offline. Cisco does not have an offline verification tool however there are several of them available. We recommend that customers use the use the verify feature in IOS.  However here are some stand alone applications.

http://search.techrepublic.com.com/search/md5+checksum+verifier.html_

Actions

This Discussion