cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Forward DID to and outside analog number (FAX)

jaime.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running CUCM 6.1.  The Gateway is a 2821.  What I am try to do is forward a DID to an outside analog fax line?  Is that possible?  Of course I tried configuring the DID on an IP Phone and forwarded the calls to the analog line (FAX), had no luck.  Call fails.  I also tried CTI-Route Points, CTI Ports and Translation Patterns.  The calls all fail.  We currently moved over to SIP Trunks and eliminated PRI’s.  Am I missing a config on the Gatway?

Thanks,

Jaime

5 Replies 5

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jaime,

You wouldnt typically use Translation Patterns or CTI ports (though you could) for this.  The easiest way to do it is via CTI route point.  Before we go any further, my first question is - what happens when you dial the analog fax line from a standard phone?  Does the call process or do you get busy signal/annunciator?  Also, this is essentially a fax relay operation so my next question is (and I'm sure I know the answer but have to ask) - the calls that you wish to forward to the outside analog fax - are they fax calls or standard telephone calls?  If the first, why not just have users fax to that numbe directly and if the second, well...self-explanatory questioning there.  To be honest, this isn't sounding like a great fax solution ... but let's see if we can figure it out.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi Hailey,

When you dial the fax number from an analog phone the fax picks up the call successfully.  All the calls coming into the DID will be faxes.  The thing is I inherited this configuration.  It appears the fax number which is the DID was made public/published on business cards and among other things.  The setup has been working but after we implemented SIP Trunks the issue started occurring.  You are correct about the setup not being a great solution.  A few of our company location are working correctly because we have the DIDs configured on a ATA device.  Unfortunately I am out of ATAs.  Any help or in-site will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jaime

My suspicion based on what you've told me is that either the forwarding and/or the fax protocol relay has gotten hosed up in the switchover to SIP trunks.  I'll have to look at that a bit more to see wherein your problem may be.  If you could post a generic version of your config, that could be helpful.  I realize my first statement is a bit obvious, so I apologize for that...but either way, it would be advised to take a look at the trunks and see what is occurring (from a digit perspective) when your call is forwarded from the DID to the fax number over the SIP trunk.

Hailey

Hailey,

Attached is the config at one of my locations.  Let me know if you think I need to make some changes.  Thanks for your help!

Jaime

At first, and quick glance, I'm not sure that the "fax protocol cisco" is enough here.  Admittedly, I need to refresh my brain on these configs...but with SIP/H323, I'd expet to see something more like T.38 fax relay and/or fax pass-through as fallback (or primary fax method) via G711.  You may want to take a look on CCO for fax/fax relay configurations with SIP/H323 gateways in the interim.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: