Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the use of VTP?

Dear All,

I am having doubt in VTP..Normally VTP is used to synchronise the VLAN. Apart from that,

1.Why we are configuring Server and Client in the Network?

2.Is there any limitation for configuring server in domain?(i.e only one server should be in the network)

3.If i am connecting Switch1(Server) -->Switch2 (Client)-->Switch3(Server) with same domain name but having different vlan and having high revision number..This time what will happen?

4.If i am having  Switch1(Server)--> Switch2 (Client), If Switch1 is  failed , What will happen?

Please give me any ideas in this regard

Thanks in advance

Senthil

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  You want to configure VTP mode Server and Client when, say, you have alot of VLANs and you want to propagate them to your a large amount of switches.

2.  No.  You can have many VTP servers and/or VTP client.  The risk of having more than one VTP server is the chance of a a VTP server overwritting the VLAN database incorrectly.

3.  Whichever VTP server with the higher revision number will overwrite the VTP server with the lower version number.

4.  What will happen to what?  The VLAN will remain, of course.

View solution in original post

Hi,

1. VLANs can only be configured/deleted/added from the VTP server.
If you try to add/delete a VLAN on a VTP client it will give you an error.
The idead of having a VTP sever is that all the clients will synchronize with the
VLAN database of the server.

2. You can have two VTP servers for redundancy.
The second VTP server will synchronize with the primary VTP server as well as the
VTP clients.

3. Remember that all switches synchronize with the highest revision number.
If you connect a VTP client with a higher revision number than the server, all the
clients and the server as well will synchronize to this new client.
To prevent this from happening, make sure to reset the revision number to 0 on the
clients and implement a VTP password.

4. As fas as VTP nothing will happen, but you need to bring it back up
because the clients need to synchronize its VLAN database to the server.
Or having a secondary VTP server with the same VLAN database.

Federico.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  You want to configure VTP mode Server and Client when, say, you have alot of VLANs and you want to propagate them to your a large amount of switches.

2.  No.  You can have many VTP servers and/or VTP client.  The risk of having more than one VTP server is the chance of a a VTP server overwritting the VLAN database incorrectly.

3.  Whichever VTP server with the higher revision number will overwrite the VTP server with the lower version number.

4.  What will happen to what?  The VLAN will remain, of course.

Thanks for the ratings.

Hi,

1. VLANs can only be configured/deleted/added from the VTP server.
If you try to add/delete a VLAN on a VTP client it will give you an error.
The idead of having a VTP sever is that all the clients will synchronize with the
VLAN database of the server.

2. You can have two VTP servers for redundancy.
The second VTP server will synchronize with the primary VTP server as well as the
VTP clients.

3. Remember that all switches synchronize with the highest revision number.
If you connect a VTP client with a higher revision number than the server, all the
clients and the server as well will synchronize to this new client.
To prevent this from happening, make sure to reset the revision number to 0 on the
clients and implement a VTP password.

4. As fas as VTP nothing will happen, but you need to bring it back up
because the clients need to synchronize its VLAN database to the server.
Or having a secondary VTP server with the same VLAN database.

Federico.

Dear Leo & Federico,

Thanks for your replies..Now i am clear..

Tks&Rgds

Senthil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card