Views
Helpful
Replies

access method on broadband internet

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body.

i have cable internet.  I get my television channels and internet from the same cable.  I understand how the bandwidth of cable is allocated to  to each television channel, internet access.  I  am just wondering  what is the access method  used by hosts to access internet.  For example on ethernet, csma is used.  thanks and have a nice weekend.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body.

i have cable internet.  I get my television channels and internet from the same cable.  I understand how the bandwidth of cable is allocated to  to each television channel, internet access.  I  am just wondering  what is the access method  used by hosts to access internet.  For example on ethernet, csma is used.  thanks and have a nice weekend.

Hi,

A Cable modem is a  device used to connect a computer to a cable TV service for Internet access, A cable modem modulates and demodulates signals like a telephone modem but is a much more complex device. Data can be transferred over cable lines much more quickly than over traditional phone lines. Transmission rates range from about 8 megabits per second (Mbps) for basic services to some 50 Mbps for premium services

Cable modems connect to the computer via an Ethernet port, which is an always-on connection. Ethernet is a shared medium, and the individual user's speed will vary depending on how many customers are sending or receiving data on that cable segment at the same time

Internet packets are combined with standard TV programming in a cable modem system. The cable modem termination system (CMTS) is responsible for packet to RF conversion, routing, bridging, filtering and traffic shaping (see CMTS).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi every body.

Hi,

A Cable modem is a  device used to connect a computer to a cable TV service for Internet access, A cable modem modulates and demodulates signals like a telephone modem but is a much more complex device. Data can be transferred over cable lines much more quickly than over traditional phone lines. Transmission rates range from about 8 megabits per second (Mbps) for basic services to some 50 Mbps for premium services

Cable modems connect to the computer via an Ethernet port, which is an always-on connection. Ethernet is a shared medium, and the individual user's speed will vary depending on how many customers are sending or receiving data on that cable segment at the same time

Internet packets are combined with standard TV programming in a cable modem system. The cable modem termination system (CMTS) is responsible for packet to RF conversion, routing, bridging, filtering and traffic shaping (see CMTS).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks Ganesh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: