Maximum number of certifications at a particular level?

Unanswered Question
May 16th, 2010

Maybe this was just a misunderstanding, but:

I've been trying to get hired at a certain company that a friend works for.  I figured more certifications would help, but my friend told me to wait until I'm hired so the employer can tell me what they want me to have.

His reasoning was that, as he says, multiple employees there have all the certifications allowed at a certain level.  They have so many, they aren't allowed to get any others without some expiring.  The company needs people with other certifications, but their current employees can't get them due to this problem.

I found this hard to believe, and I think he may be misunderstanding what other people told him.

Does anybody have any idea what he might be talking about?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
shamilton-wilkes Sun, 05/16/2010 - 21:30

I know what he's talking about, but he's only half right:

If you work for a Cisco Partner you can hold only two Partner Specialization roles at a time.  This does not mean however that any certs you personally have expire in any way - in the Partner tools on CCO your employer can choose which certs of which employees they want Cisco to count.  So you could be wasting time and money getting certs if that particular partner then can't use them, but they'll still be on your resume so may still be worth getting.  On top of that there may be other programs where you may need certs over and above the two that are 'counted' anyhow - In my case my two counted specializations are Data Center Support and Storage Networking Support, but I still needed Data Center Design for the TSS program.

derekfrazier Sun, 05/16/2010 - 21:51

Thanks very much for the response.

You explained that much more clearly than my friend was able.

This Discussion