cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5520 - Can I utilize two Outside ports on different ISPs?

bryankrausen
Level 1
Level 1

Question:

We are in the process of migrating our ISP from two Sprint T1s to a 20Mb Fiber based connection. I have a new front end router(2911)  that will be in front of the ASA, and I have an empty interface on the ASA. Can I use both connections concurrently? I'm not trying to load balance or anything like that, and the new interface will have a new class C addresses. I want to be able to continue to use the T1s while I can slowly move services over to the new ISP and new interface on the ASA, and then eventually retire the original Outside interface for the T1s.

Is this possible? I figured that if I assign the interface the IP, setup the ACLs, and NATs, it would work, but I know that my default route, 0.0.0.0 is pointing to the IP of my router for my T1s.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Unfortunately you can not have 2 default gateways concurrently pointing out from 2 different ASA interfaces. ASA is a stateful firewall, hence all traffic inbound and outbound should be symmetric, therefore, it can't have 2 default gateways pointing towards 2 different ASA interfaces.

Hope that answers your question.

bryankrausen
Level 1
Level 1

So would the suggestion to be make an all-in-one switch to the new ISP and public addresses?

Absolutely.. either L3 switch or router is capable of routing via different link.

I assume that your public range is already currently assigned to the current ASA outside interface, right?

Yes I have IPs on my original Outside interface, and I will have a new

class C on this new interface.

On May 16, 2010, at 9:43 PM, "halijenn"

Assuming that after configuring the new interface with the new IP, you will be moving the default gateway on the ASA from the existing outside, to the new interface, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card